Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Family tour in France…..idea's please.
  • ton

me, the wife and daughter are hopefully heading to france for a 2/3 week moving on tour.
    was going to get the bike express down to Lyon and spend 2 or 3 weeks pootling to a atlantic pick up point. either Poitiers or Bordeaux.

good idea? or is there anything better or nicer to ride through and look at.
    all idea’s greatly appreciated.

CHB

Canal du midi would be my ideal family bike tour.

Paul-S
    Free Member

I didn’t like the Canal du midi, but this was near Carcassonne, where it was slow going, but it may be better further west.

What are you doing for accommodation, camping or proper beds?

Mt top tip would be to stay away from the Coast, 20 miles inland was lovely, but the coast was packed whenever we tried to camp.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Agree canal du midi, also agree with staying away from the coast.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Bordeaux is a great city and is well worth a visit, I also recommend a day or two on the outskirts, if you get a chance visit St Emilion and its surrounding Chateau’s. It’s a fantastic place, only small but there’s loads of history there, plus the wine there is exceptional (And a LOT cheaper than over here!).

My big tip would be to follow the Dordogne Gironde West from Bergerac and Castillon to Bordeaux, this is known as Les Beaux Villages and is very picturesque.

I have local contacts in St Emilion that do wine tours etc if your interested.

ton

don’t think the canal du midi is for us….2 weeks on a canal holds no appeal.
    and I have cycled the coast of Brittany in mid summer….so that is a definite no no.

we will be staying in b n b’s and hotels.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Try this east to west
    Or as Missus and Myself did, a few years ago have a look at the area around semur en auxios using roads and the canal du bourgogne travelling west to Clamecy via the Morvan. Dont have to head all the way south

slowoldgit
    Free Member

The Loire Valley looks interesing to me, chateaux and all that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Family tour in France…..idea's please.’ is closed to new replies.