Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Family riding near Maidstone?
  • MoreCashThanDash

We are staying near Maidstone over the Bank Holiday weekend as part of a big family do, and the idea of taking bikes was suggested.

I don’t know the area, and only got as far as thinking it wasn’t far from Bedgebury. It’s years since I’ve been and I understand the extortionate parking charges have funded improvements. How bad will it be on a sunny Bank Holiday?

Otherwise, I’ll take the road bike and escape by myself 😉

simon_g

Bedgebury will be heaving but a lot of people don’t make it that far from the car park. There’s a play trail that goes between several very good adventure playground areas in the forest too – the family cycle trail ends up on it.

Bewl Water is near there too and has a 12.5 mile walk/cycle track around the outside.

tenfoot

Bedgebury is much improved recently, but a bit of a hike if you’re only down for the weekend. Occasionally Bedgebury gets so busy they have to turn people away, so beware.

It is now possible to cycle the length of the river Medway from Aylesford to Teston (having said that you can’t at the moment from Maidstone East up to the new bridge in town – this can be navigated on road, but not ideal). You could start from town, however, and ride upstream to Teston. At the Teston end is a country park, which is quite pleasant.

You could have a ride around Mote Park, takes around 45 minutes with smallish kids. I think they have been working on the pump track there, so that might be fun, plus there’s a play area and somewhere for ice creams, if your kids are of that age.

Let me know if you need any other info

MoreCashThanDash

A couple of nice ideas there, thank you

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Family riding near Maidstone?’ is closed to new replies.