Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Family Holiday place in Bavaria / Alps
  • huggis
    Free Member

Has anyone got any recommendations for a good holiday place near the mountains? Was originally looking at a nice self catering apartment near Salzburg but Mrs Huggis reminds me that the children (8 & 11) will need some entertainment if we’re going to get any peace (farm animals, play parks, pool, other kids etc.)!

Many of the places I’ve looked at are, tbh, quite hideous and like something out of the 70’s! Anyone stayed anywhere we’re the accommodation is clean, simple, modern that ticks the child friendly boxes?

alpin
    Free Member

i’m in Munich and have lived in southern Bavaria for nigh on seven years… what you looking for?

lakes?
    mountains?

quite a few places have summer toboggan runs like THESE (click).
    the GFs sister spent a week on a farm last year which suited them well. not sure how good your Bavarian is though.

have a look at the valley between Oberstdorf and Sonthofen. i think that was the area they were. also has one of the longest toboggan runs in the world!

plenty of other places to consider, too.

andermt
    Free Member

I assume you are either driving there or will have a hire car?

A couple of years ago we stayed at a Landal site in Austria called Rehrenberg.
    http://www.landal.com/gb-en/holiday-park/austria/salzburgerland/rehrenberg

Salzburg can be done as a day trip if you want to go and see it.

Let me premise this by saying we no longer have small kids so this aspect of this particular site for us wasn’t even looked at. However we have stayed at many other Landal sites over the years when the kids were small and there was plenty for them to do.

The site is just outside Saalbach-Hinterglemm (too far to get the Joker card unfortunately).
    There are lots of kid friendly things to do in the area. Look at Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Zell-am-Zee, Kaprun etc.

(Also plenty of MTB stuff if you get the chance)

The Landal sites are very good and have clean accommodation and are usually quite cheap. On cost, assuming you plan to go in school holidays, try and do it as late as possible. I find the last week of UK school holidays is usually very cheap in Europe.

huggis
    Free Member

alpin – thanks for heads up. Mountains is the main attraction.keen for some cycling also although the rest of the family are not keen on cycling up mountains!

huggis
    Free Member

.. will probably fly to Munich and hire a car.

epicsteve
    Free Member

We used to live in Munich and our preferred weekend place (in the winter especially) was Seefeld. It might be worth considering basing yourself out of Innsbruck though – there is plenty to do there but it’s also good for connections to lots of other places including over the Brenner into Italy.

huggis
    Free Member

thanks all ..those Landal Parks look quite good!

hot_fiat

Mayrhofen or the Ziller valley in gerneral? Take the train to Fugen to the water park, zell-am-ziller for the summer rodelbhan, bus up to hintertux to do some summer skiing. There’s plenty of walking in the area. Via ferrata if you’re crazy. The train itself is quite an attraction in the summer as it runs a split between diesel & steam services.

Stay somewhere like this?

ElShalimo

Mittenwald – we spent a week there in Sept/Oct. Very nice place indeed. Nestled between Karwandel mountains and Garmisch. Austria is just a few miles up the valley.
    Email address in profile is you need more info, photos etc

Edit: Mayrhofen is nice and the via ferrata are excellent but being a long valley it’s not that easy to escape crap weather as we found out in 2013. If the weather is awful expect to drive a lot

jambalaya
    Free Member

We’ve holidayed a fews times in the area. Once near Cheemsee and twice at Garmisch. Mountains, forests, lake, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Castle, can never remember the full Schloss name .. too long !

epicsteve
    Free Member

Neuschwanstein Castle

welshfarmer

Don’t take kids to Schloss Neuschwanstein. You may never see them again 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Family Holiday place in Bavaria / Alps’ is closed to new replies.