Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Family holiday newquay
  • backinireland
    Free Member

Planning summer 2017
    Kids will be 8 6 and 3
    Love beaches, swimming pools and outdoor type stuff
    Probably flying over and possibly renting a car
    Any ideas for accommodation or any other recommendations?
    Ta

5lab

drive over and stay in the gower instead. Much nicer for pretty much everything outside of very drunken nights on the pull (which it doesn’t sound like what you’re looking for)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Gower, as above, or Pembrokeshire, or South Devon.

Newquay is like Mos Eisley. Without the charm.

andyl
    Free Member

I have to say I much prefer Newquay out of season but you don’t have that option.

Fistral is really nice but does get rammed. Plenty of other good beaches further up next to the town centre for water sports other than surfing – kayak hire, bodyboards etc and all pretty reasonable.

Padstow is not a huge drive up the coast, walk along the beech while the tide is out is nice and you can get a small boat across to the other side of the estuary. Look at Watergate bay just north of Newquay, not stayed there myself but supposed to be nice and certainly looks a nice spot when driving past. surf school there too I think.

Sandwich

Polzeath or Port Isaac would be my choice for staying in Cornwall. Decent boarding on Polzeath beach and the school wasn’t too bad either.

cpon
    Free Member

Love Cornwall but not fond of Newquay. It’s the least ‘Cornish’ place there and pretty tacky. Crantock or Perranporth, to the South or Watergate Bay to the north are all close enough to Newquay if that’s your thing.

Personally I like South Cornwall, St. Ives, Carbis Bay, Marazion, Kaynance Cove, Godrevy Beach, Porthleven, Sennan Cove – the list goes on.

ampthill

Only really done Newquay out of season. It will be fine and has the benefit of a zoo. But yes loads of places in Cornwall, North Devon and South Wales be further up my list

I like St Davids in Pembrokeshire although the swimming pool isn’t great

backinireland
    Free Member

St Ives?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Newquay is a bit naff but does have a few good bits. I like the zoo
    Just avoid going when it’s full after the summer exams are over.

Out of season I quite like it , good beaches and far more relaxed if a little closed if you need lots of shops

postierich
    Free Member

Mother Ivys Bay trust me you and your kids will love it with lots of cheeky FP riding as well!
    http://www.motheriveysbay.com
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/fE1ZzU]DSCF3860[1][/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

BillMC

Having visited many beaches between Sennen and Croyde, Newquay is the last place I would book. Polzeath is a much better call particularly for kids and the waves break there in an interesting way.

Rent a car and visit Newquay for half a day and you’ll be very grateful for this thread, mind you don’t get done for speeding on your escape.

PrinceJohn

Presume you’re thinking flying direct to Newquay?
    The airport is quite far out and if you’re hitting a car anywhere north coast would be easy, Mawgan Porth is nice

LeeW

+1 for Mawgan Porth, everything you need really, nice beach, surfing, fish and chips, pub. Not too far from Newquay if you really want to go. If you’re camping, Google sun haven valley campsite, they have static vans too if you’re so inclined. Easy walk to the beach and nice and quiet at night.

russ295
    Free Member

Got to agree with what’s been said already.
    Newquay in the early 90’s was a great place. I used to go every year as there was a big surf comp in the summer.
    Great atmosphere for all ages. But by the late 90’s it turned into a mini Blackpool, stag/hen doo’s, fighting, puking etc.
    Last time i was there was 2002 and passed through Newquay but never stopped.
    Lots of nicer places to visit.

bigblackshed

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Newquay is like Mos Eisley. Without the charm.

Newquay isn’t that nice.

lesgrandepotato

Holiday cottages at the headland are lovely. You won’t need to drive from there

wors

I think Newquay gets a lot of bad press. We stayed in Crantock this year, but went into Newquay a few times and it was ok, no stag or hen do’s in sight.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Stick to Fistral and the periphery of Newquay and it’s fab. Not a big fan of the centre for many of the reasons above. It’s a fairly good base for exploring north up to Bude, down to lands end and around the south coast.

Lusty glaze and Padstow beaches are my favourites.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

+2 for Mawgan Porth. Closer to the Airport than Newquay itself and perfect for families. Not as ‘Chelsea on Sea’ as Watergate Bay, Rock and Padstow but has nice shops and decent places to eat. We usually stay at https://theparkcornwall.com/ which isn’t cheap but has accommodation ranging from oldish but clean static caravans, to bungalows, eco lodges and yurts. Heated outdoor and indoors pools so great when the weather is iffy and only a 5 min walk from the beach.

This places is a 10 minute walk and is the most amazing place to go and eat in the evenings.

http://www.scottandbabs.com/

backinireland
    Free Member

Looking for somewhere to fly to from belfast and fancied flying into Newquay
    Thanks for advice so far
    Only problem with flying is not being able to bring bikes surfboards wetsuits and all the rest of the gear!

zippykona

Our friends live at Crantock.

I feel there’s more going on in Devon. Maybe as it’s because I know the county better.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

I like Fistral for boarding and its a large beach. I came across perranporth this year just up from newquay and had some good waves for boarding. Its smaller and you dont get the facilities of newquay but armed with a solar shower and access to the watering hole and high street with co op it makes it quite good. Check the tides and the lifeguards stay til quite late.

jam-bo

Perranporth is down the coast from Newquay, and at low tide is many times the size of fistral.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i live in cornwall, right down in god’s country west penwith, i agree with many who’ve already said it newquay can be awful.

thing is though that the whole of cornwall is totally different, east to west, north to south. and the lizard is different again. i love the lizard. a huge generalisation is that north coast is cliffs, the middle is high hills and the south coast wooded valleys. beaches are everywhere. take your pick.

if you want typical seaside town stuff then newquay and perranporth and bude will do. if you want more refined then st ives, mousehole etc. if you want local penzance/newlyn. if you want to get away from it all look on a map. its all possible.

best place of all is sennen cove, but i’m biased as i have a house there… http://www.littlebeachhouse.co.uk – hows that for a shameless plug! ; )

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Family holiday newquay’ is closed to new replies.