Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Family holiday accomodation – Dorset/Devon
  • Riofer
    Free Member

Has anyone got any recommendations for a family holiday in the West Dorset/South Devon area? This is the first year we’ve had to go during school holidays and so far my searches have turned either very expensive cottages or static caravans on holiday parks. I’m not averse to the holiday park idea as I expect the kids (3 & 5) would enjoy the activities and entertainment but I would prefer to head to one that comes recommended rather than take pot luck. Is it posible to get some peace an quiet at these parks, my concern is that the fun (and noise) won’t stop to let you have some quieter relaxing time?

Somewhere with a beach and a town/village in walking distance would be ideal.

Anyone got any experience good or bad and suggestions to share?

Thanks
    Rio

geoffj

I’ve never been, but a good friend of mine recommended this place –
    http://www.osmingtonholidays.co.uk

relliott6879
    Free Member

Does it have to be South Devon? We’ve been to Woolacombe Bay on the North Devon coast (just down the road from Ilfracombe) a couple of times and really enjoyed it.

The set up is a complex of 3 or 4 holiday parks, you choose which one you want to stay on but your price gives you free access to all the other parks, with a cheap bus (about £1 for a day I think) that will shuttle you between them and also to and from Woolacombe town itself. There’s plenty to do on the parks (organised kiddy clubs during the day and discos at night, swimming pools, crazy golf, bingo/music in the evening for the adults etc), but also the peace and quiet option you mentioned.

The accommodation ranges from caravans to chalets and, on the main park, a huge great farmhouse (4 bedroom I think) with a decent kitchen, washer and dryer, it’s own private garden, hot tub and BBQ – this is where we stayed last year and loved it.

Woolacombe itself is fairly small but has the usual cafés and gift shops etc, plus a massive sandy beach. There is a bus service as I mentioned earlier, but you can walk down from the main (Woolacombe Bay) park in about 15 or 20 minutes. Alternatively, you have Ilfracombe about 15 minutes drive away and Barnstaple about 30-40 minutes away.

As a reasonably priced UK holiday, I can’t recommend it highly enough, we’ve been for the past two years running and would be going again this year if we did not have a house move to fund.

Here’s a link

http://www.woolacombe.co.uk/

instanthit
    Free Member

Might try Sandy Bay in Exmouth, its a Haven site. Fits your bill as on the beach close to Exmouth/Exeter. You are literally on the coast path for run/cheeky ride. Im in Exeter and the kids love Exmouth beach, my neighbours also stay there every year as there kids like it loads.

Riofer
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, will check out Osmington and Wollacombe. Whats the drive to the north coast like, was thinking south coast as it looks easier to access from the M5?

relliott6879
    Free Member

Leaving the M5 to pulling in at Woolacombe takes us under an hour mate.

jam-bo

was thinking south coast as it looks easier to access from the M5?

i guess you’ve not been to devon before then…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Family holiday accomodation – Dorset/Devon’ is closed to new replies.