• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Family-friendly trails in the Lakes.
  • arrpee
    Free Member

Looking for some suggestions for mellower off-road riding, ideally around Hawkshead, but ideas further afield welcome too.

I’ll have a tag-a-long in tow and my other half will probably be on a hybrid.

Bonus points awarded for identifying pub/cafe stops.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Grizedale – obviously miles of forest road with excellent views across to COniston Old Man west and pennines east

Claiffe Heights and the (closed) road down the west of windermere (Wray castle)

From Skelwith bridge through elterwater up into langdale (out and back) Dungeon Ghyll for refreshments (need to drive to skelwith bridge – roads from hawkshead a bit dicey with a tag along) Chesters for overpriced tat and cake

Coniston (on the excellent permissive b’way) to tilberthwthaite round to hodge close (some road but quite) – yew tree farm for tea and cake

arrpee
    Free Member

Cheers, that sounds ideal.

The b’way from Coniston to Tilberthwaite, is that the one that runs alongside the A593? I think I remember it.

grum
    Free Member

You can go along the side of windermere by Claife Heights as mentioned then go up past the scout camp and over the top past Wise Een Tarn. Incredibly scenic and fun but barely anything vaguely technical.

Junkyard
    Free Member

there is very little that is either flat, not technical or off road IME

Old railway at Keswick but miles from you.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Aye that’s it. You can also head south from coniston, through coniston hall campsite to torver and back along the path there from the old church house inn including a bit of the old railway line (strictly speaking footpath at the coniston end but no-one will bother you with a nipper in tow)

And for Grizedale park at moor top and wend youself a route round the fireroads (up to the transmission mast and back) a bit of climbing but at picnicing speed not severe

tomd
    Free Member

There a track / cycle path that runs along the side of Windemere and is relatively close to Hawksead. I rode it last week as part of a bigger loop and thought it would be nice for a family typre pootle.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Family-friendly trails in the Lakes.’ is closed to new replies.