Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Family Friendly Cornwall Campsites
  • bikeywikey
    Free Member

Hi there,
    Me, Mrs Bikey Wikey, Junior Bikey Wikey and not arrived yet but not too far away Bikey Wikey are looking for a decent family friendly campsite in Cornwall (preferably near some decent biking too!)….
    Do not know the area at all so some tips/advice too would be greatly appreciated….
    Cheers,
    Bikey

andrewy

Hi, we stayed here last ‘summer’. Very child friendly with beaches nearby; not sure about local cycling, but I can recommend the site.

MrNutt
    Free Member

down at the bike barn was nice n cheap and you can ride down to perenport beach, its also pretty close to The Track.

warning: Cornwall is flat with some holes in it, do not expect hills.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

down in the far west, if you want a site thats a bit more ‘wild’ and where you can have some space noongallas near penzance is the one. its set on the side of a valley with fields running down into one of the only woods in these parts. you can also light fires outside your camp…

http://www.kline.freeserve.co.uk/

the far west is a great bit of the county. beaches on both sides. some of the best scenery in cornwall. not as touristy as some parts. loads of galleries, decent restaurants, interesting shops. stone circles abound. and from noongallas its a quick ride up onto the moors. if you do come down this way drop me a line and i’ll give you some ideas where to ride. there is quite a bit of riding, but you need to know where to go.

for other areas, have a look at the camping club sites. they are always clean and nice. some of the bigger ones get super crowded these days.

bikeywikey
    Free Member

Nice one thanks for the suggestions.
    Thought Cornwall was meant to be hilly………. 😥
    Gavtheoldskater may well take you up on that offer in a few months,
    Cheers

carlosg
    Free Member

http://www.oldmacdonalds.co.uk/index.htm

Fantastic place between Padstow and Newquay , only about 50 pitches and very reasonable prices, free entry to the farm with unlimited pony/train rides. All the animals might as well be cats and dogs as (apart from the pigs) they are all super friendly.The nearest beach(Porthcothan Bay) is great keep to the left side and the tide is out nearly all the time due to the rise of the sand compared to the right side which fills the entire bay , dog friendly too

We’re not going this year 😥 due to the imminent arrival of carlos mk3 the wife has insisted we get a proper house but we’ll be back there next year.

as for biking your best bet would be to find a Cornish mtb site and see if any locals can take you out for a few rides.

bikeywikey
    Free Member

liking the look of the beaches 😀

jj55

Polruan Holiday Centre!

Lovely national trust beaches nearby, and great little village with great pubs at the bottom of hill below the camp site!

TonyL
    Free Member

Have a look at Noongallas near Penzance, basic but next to some brilliant woods, allows camp fires. Very laid back and good value.

yunki
    Free Member

Porth Bay gets my vote

Northwind

I’ve not been for years but St Ives Bay Holiday Park used to be fab… Big, but still relaxed and spacious feeling, built right on top of the beach, which is fab. (though I stress on top of, it’s a fair walk down through the dunes to the sea) Can’t speak for mountain biking though. What we liked most was that there’s 2 bars- one tended to be very noisy, with “entertainers” and generally a bit crap. The other was a big conservatory beside the swimming pool, very airy, very laid back… So you got a lot more choice onsite. And just round the bay from st ives

bikeywikey
    Free Member

That excellent thanks folks plenty of food for thought 😀

Timmo
    Free Member

bw, there are Loads of great family sites about, theres a small ish one with good shower, loo facilities etc on the top of Porthtowan hill, (porthtowan touring park)very resonable, the bike barn just down the road has a feild with self composting loo’s but its only £3 pppn! they are also in the process of constructiong a pump track and a couple of other play bits there! and its on the Cornish ‘Coast to Coast’ trail, 11 miles from North to south! full bike shop and hire facilities too! (my lbs)
    there’s another site like porthtowan just down the road at cambrose, Cambrose touring park,
    a bit more down the coast and in amongst the dunes on the coast road are a few good parks, hayle and St.Ives site’s there,
    obviously newquay ahs Loads of site’s. most on the edges of the village, Hendra’s a Cracking one, lots of facilities, friends of ours come down there every year, impressive for a camp site!
    you wont go short of places to look though, Hunbdreds of sites up and down the county on both coasts! some good riding tucket away off the beaten track too, a lot of it in what was the old minig waste area’s, (best hook up with some locals for a tour of the area!!!)

i love the north coast most down here, much more dramatic, almost always a good surf to be had with inb close reach!! South coast is more a sailing orientated side to North coasts Surfing, eithers great though, but having been born down here, i’m a little biased!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Family Friendly Cornwall Campsites’ is closed to new replies.