Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Falling in love again… Full Suspension
  • tinsy
    Free Member

Well after the sad theft last Friday of my On one Tinbred 1×9, I was sooooo angry and couldnt get a proper sleep or anything, so Monday I bought my trusty 05 Stumpy FSR out for a blast, I was still fuming and it seems that is very good for your speed, cos I was mashing the big ring as hard as I could, as for long as I could and whenever I could around my 1 hour local loop, I was hitting turns faster than ever, the smooth and predictable handling of my old susser I had quite forgotten about, as it was usually reserved for going to Afan and bigger days etc, my lungs were bursting, my legs were burning, my only concern was I had trees and branches whiping at the stitches in my knee from a recent athroscopy.

Predictably I rekon I was 1 gear lower on the climbs, but must have been 2 higher on anything remotely bumpy, and way higher geared on the fast bits, all in all I finished the ride absolutely shattered, legs sore and stung, arms and everything aching from just hauling on the bars and letting it have it, would think it was a new PB as well, but as my computer was on the stolen bike I am not quite sure by how much.

Anyhow I ripped it again last night and though not quite the intesity of Mondays thrash, boy can that bike shift, its different to the old hardtail and I think I have re kindled a love afair for it that the last few years of concentrating on gettin the hartail up to spec had made me forget.

I will resist a gratuitous pic of my tricked out gaudy anodized FSR but its back and I love it.

The King is dead and long live the King..

Olly
    Free Member

tick 🙂
    i ride my SS hardtail in the week, to keep maintenence down, but when i get the trance out, its truley shocking how much faster it is in every direction 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

Life in "being cyclic" shocker!!!

tinsy
    Free Member

Well the world does turn cynic-al, at least my one does, but not sure about yours!! 🙂

Dougal
    Free Member

So what are we to conclude from this?

– You did a one hour loop in one hour, but claimed to be faster?
    – Singlespeeds are slow?

tinsy
    Free Member

I conclude you didnt read it properly, my hardtail was a 1×9, I did the 1 hour loop faster, but mainly cos I was angry and needed to blow off steam.

I love my Specialized agian so thats nice.

Conclusion is, all bikes are good.

edit… and having your bike stolen is awful.

Andy

Good for you. Read the theft post and really felt for you! Glad you have found something to be positive about. Plus its always good to give an old warhorse a go and remember what made it great.

BIKES4LIFE
    Free Member

i just got a 05 stumpy last wk,gonna get rid of my santa hardtail,an make it my everyday bike after this winter.

CHB

I have an o5 stumpy. Lovely bike in the summer. Dreadfull chainsuck and mud clag in the winter.

cynic-al
    Free Member

tinsy, only pointing oout that this thread comes up a lot – "wselling fuyll suss" "rediscovering full suss" "hard tails best" etc etc.

Which is why I run both 8)

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Are there any motocross bikes without suspension?

trailmonkey

agree with that sentiment. i've ridden fs almost exclusively for the last 12 months after 2 years of riding nothing but ht. i'm loathed to get rid of my ht frame because i know that sooner or later i'm likely to want to ride it again.

tinsy
    Free Member

cynic_al, yes it has come up a lot recently, I think a thread for both yesterday.

I used to run both, horses for courses and all that, Andy had the sentiment of my thread right, I dont say one is better than the other, just after the dissapontment of losing my Tinbred it was refreshing for me to actually realise the Stumpy I had resigned to big days was actually loads of fun around my local tamer trails too, and will be getting raced on Sunday at Mud sweat and gears Sunday.. well its either that of the Raleigh Chopper!!

MX bike with very little suspension. 1978 Avely Essex

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Falling in love again… Full Suspension’ is closed to new replies.