Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fake KMC Missing Links?
  • devash
    Free Member

Just bought a couple of spare pairs of KMC 11 speed missing links from a UK seller on eBay which were advertised as unpackaged / OEM. However, they look a lot different to the ones which I purchased (retail packaging) from CRC and I’m wondering if they are fakes.

CRC one (on left) has a slight indent right in the middle just before the opening for the pin. It also says “KMC-6L” whereas the one on the right just says “KMC”.

On the pack, there is a slight raise in the middle on the CRC one, corresponding to the indent on the other side. There is more shaping to the CRC one around the edges whereas the eBay one just looks as though its been stamped out of a sheet of metal. The CRC one has a slight raise on the plate around the bottom of the pin, while the eBay one doesn’t The locking hole is also longer on the eBay one.

Fake or not?

woody2000

These are on aliexpress, look like the ones you got from eBay. Isn’t aliexpress riddled with “fake” stuff?

larkim
    Free Member

Put the ebay one on the bike. Ride it. If it works, who cares?

(And carry the CRC one as a spare?)

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m no expert, but I’d be tempted to think they were fake. In fact, I’ve questioned more convincing ones than that.

cheers_drive

Mine look the same as the CRC ones with the little indent, as does the photo on KMCs website

cp

Plenty of fakes on the bay. I’ve had a couple snap, unfortunately one in a race.

Never had a genuine one go…

Decathlon’s own brand are actually KMC links (the KMC markings are hidden in the pack). Cheap and a good source if you have one close by.

devash
    Free Member

These are on aliexpress, look like the ones you got from eBay. Isn’t aliexpress riddled with “fake” stuff?

Yeah I get the impression that the seller has ordered a load in bulk from Aliexpress and sold them on without realising. Can’t be bothered returning them as they were only a couple of quid so will just keep them in my Camelbak as emergency “get me home” ones.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fake KMC Missing Links?’ is closed to new replies.