Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Faith in people..any nice stories?
  • dribbling
    Free Member

I fancied a pair of M971 mechs to replace my m960 F&R.

Agreed to stick £60 in some randoms account and my lovely mechs arrived as agreed…

Took to LBS, received a phone call about 4 hours later to let me know that rear was knackered and front was a top pull, despite clarifying pull with seller.

Me feeling stupid and a little tense, contacted seller.

After a few texts and a phone call later, apologies were provided as well as an instant refund (even though I still had his kit) and my faith in people, moderately restored.

I’d written off the money to be fair, a lesson if you will…but to receive a full refund and apologies made me gladly suspect most of us are a good bunch. On top of that, my LBS (Garage Bikes Morley) refused to charge me for any work involved.

After a short life of 34 years, it’s proved that….well, I don’t know jack about people. Any similar stories of genuine, unpressured, decent human kind, to restore faith in people?

Bike, or anything else related…

leffeboy

Had something a bit like that last week with a ceiling light we had that stopped working. Being a bit of a fiddler,no longer having the receipt and it being over a year since I bought it I took it to bits and cut out the broken bit hoping just to replace it only to discover I couldn’t buy that bit anywhere. Trundled back to the shop to see if they could do anything and they told me just to bring all the bits I had in, that the warranty was 2 years, they could find my name on the computer and not to worry about having cut bits out.

Left ever such a happy man

project
    Free Member

A neighbour is in a wheelchair after an operation,so i made a ramp for them to get his wheelchair into the flat, got a thank you card and a lovely chocolate cake.

Made it so worthwhile.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Told a guy who works in the office downstairs that he’d left his lights on in his car. He grunted at me and walked past to his car. He then walked back in and completely blanked me.

Next time I hope the **** tries to go home to find a flat battery.

jimmy

I wish…

restless
    Free Member

Any similar stories of genuine, unpressured, decent human kind, to restore faith in people?

No. Not yet.

PJ266
    Free Member

Lost my keys and phone on a ride recently (nightmare scenario) Found the keys on a fence-post which some friendly person had found, and the phone was found and posted back to me for nowt buy a random mountain biker.

Faith restored.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I sold a pair of hope hub adapters on here as 15mm ones , got a message back from the buyer telling me they were qr !! My fault entirely so I refunded him . I told him to keep them as couldn’t be bothered with who pays what on postage and a few days later he has sold them for me and sent me the money !!! Top bloke 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Check out this thread. That was at the time a £600 camera – very decent of them to hand it in and well played to the guy in the visitor centre for googling (and thank god STW comes up quite high in google rankings).

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lost-camera-lumix-gf1-in-patterdale-last-night

genghispod
    Free Member

A few years ago my then teenage son lost his phone on the way home from a drunken sex-fuelled dope smoking party and lost his rag because he’d mislaid his mobile on the way. Had a phone call the next day from a nice chap who found it and rang up Dad. Picked it up and gave the chap a fiver for a beer or two.

Left my jacket hanging in the changing cubicle of our local swimming pool about 3 years ago with wallet (incl. about £50) and brand new mobile inside. Didn’t notice until getting dressed afterwards, went to reception with “I don’t suppose” and there it all was. Thanks whoever you were.

Had an almost argument with the guy in the offy a couple of weeks back, spent £4 on beer, gave him a fiver and got £9 change. Took a minute for him to understand then ” You’re a Scholar and a Gent mate” etc.

Tbh I haven’t been this honest all my life though.

Actually just rememberd one that really pissed me off. Waiting for my daughter to finish Brownies last year I went to the cashpoint to find a £20 sticking out, looked around and saw a woman getting into a car ten feet away. Walked over and said “Scuse me love have you just been to the cashpoint?” “Yes” she replies. “Did you get any money out?” I ask. “No” she replies. “Well I think this is yours then” says I and hand her the £20. “Thanks” she says, and **** off up the road. Went into the shop and there was some poor cow telling the staff that she went to the cahpoint, took her card out and walked off without the money, and when she went back a few minutes later it was gone. “Wouldn’t bet on anyone handing £20 in” says the staff.

What can you do? Said nothing is what I did. I tried.

mboy
    Free Member

About 10 years ago or so, I was walking through uni, saw 2 black guys walking about 50 yards in front of me, one of them put his hand in his back pocket to pull something out, and a bit of paper fell out, he hadn’t realised and carried on walking. I got up closer, and realised the bit of paper was actually a £20 note…

Now had I just seen it there, nobody else around, I’d have pocketed it. But I saw the guy drop it, so no moral dilemma whatsoever, I ran after him.

Caught up with him and tapped him on the shoulder. “Sorry mate, you just dropped this 20 down the road, here you go”…

(in a very Jamaican accent) “Ah man safe, thanks geezer. I owe you one”

Me… “nah it’s ok mate, would ruin my day if I lost a 20, no worries”

Him…”listen bruv, do you smoke?”

Me (perplexed)… “no mate, bad habit, why?”

Him… “no geez, you ain’t got me. Do you SMOKE?”

With that he gave me a handshake, executed to perfection, with a sizeable bag of weed in it… 😕

Him… “have a nice day!”

Stupid thing was I don’t smoke weed either, but one of my mates had a good evening or two on it!

thegreatape
    Free Member

The bloke off here who was asked by a tramp outside a supermarket for money towards a cup of tea, so took him into the cafe for a full breakfast. To the disgust of the other shoppers, which made it even better IMO.

tomhoward

I once went to a cashpoint at a coop, and (before I put my card in) the machine was already at the ‘how much would sir like?’ screen. I cancelled the transaction, took the card out and handed it in at the counter. As luck would have it, it’s dim-witted owner (I mean really, putting ones card into a machine, entering a pin and then wandering off…) was inside and he got his card back, with tha same amount of money on it as before he lost it. I barely got a grunt of thanks despite me having been able to have cleaned £300 out of his account and him be non the wiser. Lesson learned on my part!

grievoustim
    Free Member

A couple of years ago I was buying furniture alone for me new “post separation” flat. I had bitten off way more than I could chew, and was struggling with a trolley way overloaded with very big boxes. It was a windy day and the boxes were catching the wind. My trolley was behaving like an out of control boat at sea – and I was having real trouble keeping it upright and away from other peoples cars. At some point in all this my receipt blew away. I let it go, preferring to keep my trolley upright.

When I finally got to my car an out of breath girl ram up with my receipt. She had obviously made it her business to chase it round the windy carpark. I couldn’t thank her enough, but was even more grateful the next day when I realised I had failed to take a 2nd box for one item and needed to go back with my receipt to get it.

philconsequence
    Free Member

This is a pretty wordy so apologies:

MrsConsequence and I are having a big party for all our friends and family this September, it’s our version of a wedding but with all the religion and boring stuff stripped out. Instead of wedding gifts and a big list of expensive stuff from some department store we’ve always said we would encourage people to donate to charity instead as the day is about celebrating our relationship with the people we love, not showing off, not filling our house with expensive gifts.

We do not want the people we’ve invited to feel like there’s any financial barriers to attending, weddings are painfully expensive things for guests to attend nowadays.. hotels, alcohol, new clothes, wedding gifts etc etc! So we’ve planned our day so ensure guests don’t need to pay anything if they don’t want to or cant afford to.. there no dress code, alcohol and food are provided and importantly, no wedding list. Just turn up in whatever they feel comfy in and have some fun!

Instead of wedding gifts we’re giving people the option, only if they can afford it, to donate anonymously to MacMillan Cancer Support on the day via donation envelopes; it’s not required.. just encouraged for those who can 🙂 In addition to this we’ve also organised a charity photo-booth so couples, families and friendship groups can have some fun photos taken aside from the normal wedding photos. These photos will be available to buy online after the event with all profits going to Bladder Cancer UK, a charity my father set up.

Without asking anybody for help (financial or otherwise) with our day we’ve have some humbling offers: our wedding stationary (invites, quizzes, theming and decoration planning) is all being provided by a highly regarding graphic designer for free, our wedding photography and charity photo-booth is being provided for free, our cake is being made for free, some of our decorations are being handmade for free, the professional printing of our invites and quizzes are have been done for free. The band is doing it for transport costs and the DJ is not only doing it for free but he’s flying back 2 days early from a festival in Europe he’s being paid to play!

On top of all this, a couple of months ago MrsConsequence went to do some market research for an American Bridal shop; she felt really out of place surrounded by brides with big expensive plans, when asked she mentioned about the charity thing instead of wedding gifts… she glossed over it as she felt a bit embarrassed but the lady running the group pressed her for a bit more info. 5 weeks later MrsConsequence gets a phone-call from America, a lady who was apparently behind a 2-way mirror representing the bridal company was so touched by the charity donation idea that the company wants to give MrsConsequence a dress for free! All she has to do is pick whichever dress she wants and they’ll send it over to us from America. This means MrsConsequence can sell the £90 second hand dress she had already bought and donate the money to charity and wear something amazing on the day! 😀

We’ve been utterly humbled by how much help and support we’ve been offered and it’s meant we can focus the little money we have on making the day as fun as possible for our guests, fingers crossed raising a fair bit of money for the 2 charities as well!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Our minibus got hit by a snow-plough this winter the day before Christmas Eve. Our car then took its cue to break down somewhat terminally a couple of days later.

So it’s peak holiday season, we’re rammed with guests, we have no transport and everything useful (insurance offices, car/van hire places) are closed on and off over the next week or so.

Mate who runs a directly competing business offered us use of his minibus whenever we needed it.

Thanks Andy!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Faith in people..any nice stories?’ is closed to new replies.