Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Facetiming in public, with the speaker on!!
  • jekkyl

My inner voice shouts ‘MUST YOU?’ when I see & hear someone facetiming in public, is this a thing now? it needs banning.
    It happens all over, generally in places with free wifi; shopping malls, coffee shops and on the train! I was on a train the other day and someone was facetiming with the speaker on!! Some daft young bint yadda yadda’ing away to Auntie Doris, who was clearly not comfortable about her voice on loudspeaker to the whole coach as she says ‘well I’ll let you go then and I’ll speak to you when you get home’ and Miss Yadda Yadda says ‘it’s ok, just another minute’ and then continued to discuss the coming weekend’s planned activities, much to the annoyance of everyone in earshot.

I picture myself like John Belushi smashing the guitar in Animal House, walking calmly over, taking the Ipad off her, apologoising to Aunt Doris and then repeatedly smashing it on the floor, the bin and the edge of the seat. I hand her the pieces back and sit back down to thunderous applause from the rest of the coach while Miss Yadda Yadda looks on agog. Instead I slip my headphones back on and drift off…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No worse than having a conversation with the person opposite.

Drac

What spoon said.

loddrik
    Free Member

I do it on occasion. But only with my 5 and 9 yr old girls. but then I probably wouldn’t facetime anyone else anyway.

igm

It’s an invitation to join in surely…

jekkyl

You’re right I suppose, it is the same as holding a conversation, it was just a bit louder and therefore moe annoying than hearing 2 people speaking. My colleague at work says she was at a spa sitting around the pool and someone was doing it there going ‘here’s the pool, look at the jacuzzi, wooooo’

Drac

Damn people to hell for enjoying themselves.

allthepies
    Free Member
    chakaping
    Free Member

Yes, it is.

It’s much more intrusive because when people are talking face to face they can moderate their voices better and use non-verbal gestures to aid communication.

But it’s no worse than having a loud and obnoxious conversation with the person opposite I suppose.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As long as they’re not masturbating at the same time, I think, mildly annoying as it might seem, just let them be.

Drac

But it’s no worse than having a loud and obnoxious conversation with the person opposite I suppose.

Yes that is exactly the point as FaceTime allows non verbal communication too.

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s much more intrusive because when people are talking face to face they can moderate their voices better and use non-verbal gestures to aid communication.

Just like FaceTime then surely ?

njee20
    Free Member

Facetime exactly the same as people having a real conversation…? Really? I disagree, I’d have joined in the thunderous applause if jekkyl had smashed the iPad!

maccyb
    Free Member

If it was the same it wouldn’t be annoying. It is annoying, so it clearly isn’t the same. Precisely why it’s annoying is largely irrelevant – it just is.

The question is whether people should do things that other people find annoying. That too is largely irrelevant because the kind of people who do things that other people find annoying don’t tend to care about whether other people find them annoying or not so they won’t change their behaviour anyway.

jambalaya
    Free Member

This

therevokid
    Free Member

i did get “told off” for listening in on a private conversation recently
    whilst on the bus, surprised the driver downstairs didn’t hear her as well !!!

Drac

If it was the same it wouldn’t be annoying. It is annoying, so it clearly isn’t the same. Precisely why it’s annoying is largely irrelevant – it just is.

So you don’t get annoyed at people talking loudly to each other face to face?

maccyb
    Free Member

So you don’t get annoyed at people talking loudly to each other face to face?

Well, I do get annoyed at them too, but for some reason not as much as e.g. phone users or Facetimers. It would have to be a properly loud or obnoxious face-to-face conversation. I think maybe non-face-to-face conversations tend to go on longer – no-one really gets annoyed at a quick call or chat of any kind. Not sure there’s a lot of logic to it – again, it’s inconsiderate people that are the common factor.

Having said that I once took on a whole gang of bikers who were conducting a loud and highly obnoxious conversation at going-on-for-midnight in a ferry lounge… despite kids trying to sleep and everyone very tired after a long day on a ship. Admittedly they were baby-boomer bikers, the kind that cruise around America with their wives in cars following behind, but still… the adrenalin rush from confronting them was considerable!

CountZero

The question is whether people should do things that other people find annoying. That too is largely irrelevant because the kind of people who do things that other people find annoying don’t tend to care about whether other people find them annoying or not so they won’t change their behaviour anyway.
    There’s no fundamental difference; two people talking loudly in a situation with others who have no option but to listen in, makes it very uncomfortable for those forced to listen, unless they have earphones or headphones that block external noise.
    Your second point, however, is perfectly valid; a cock will continue to behave like one because they are socially inept or just plain ignorant.

nealglover
    Free Member

If it was the same it wouldn’t be annoying. It is annoying, so it clearly isn’t the same.

I didn’t say it was the same.

I just pointed out, that those were crap reasons as to why it’s different.

Drac

Having said that I once took on a whole gang of bikers who were conducting a loud and highly obnoxious conversation at going-on-for-midnight in a ferry lounge… despite kids trying to sleep and everyone very tired after a long day on a ship. Admittedly they were baby-boomer bikers, the kind that cruise around America with their wives in cars following behind, but still… the adrenalin rush from confronting them was considerable!

You are awesome.

nealglover
    Free Member

Not sure there’s a lot of logic to it – again, it’s inconsiderate people that are the common factor.

To be honest, it really does seem like it’s short tempered people who are the common denominator.

Most of us don’t give a shit.

A conversation is a conversation. I’m not bothered how digital it is.

konabunny
    Free Member

You are awesome.

bencooper
    Free Member

I was following someone along the road a couple of months ago who was Facetiming.

On his phone.

Which was suckered to the middle of his windscreen.

maccyb
    Free Member

You are awesome.

Drac’s one that is.

You are a bit inflammatory, for a moderator.

The idea of my post was to make it briefly sound shocking and impressive, to have apparently taken on a biker gang, but then to puncture the illusion of awesomeness immediately myself by admitting they were harmless old pensioners, and even asking them to be quiet was scary.

But yeah, go on moderating by trying to get a rise out of me by mockery. Sterling work.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Facetiming in public, with the speaker on!!’ is closed to new replies.