Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • F1 – Was it any good?
  • glenp
    Free Member

Well, history certainly hasn't shown you are right, so it is pretty difficult to understand why you so confidently asserted that view in the first place. Williams tried very hard to hold on to him, so that's a good clue as to his quality. Plus he had a debut season with Mark Webber as team-mate, which you seem to have forgotten – although the car was desperately unreliable he did produce some very promising performances that year, against MW who was both extremely experienced and excessively fast.

69er
    Free Member

The real shame was that **** Webber robbed us of a grandstand finale, Alonso had outbraked himself and cocked up the corner, Lewis had it about right and looked set to blast past until the Aussie Amateur f*cked it up for the viewers.

Red Bull won't put up with too many performances like that, the pressure is building.

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, I was really disappointed with Webbo – I really like him for being straight talking, generally quick and a good racer and a bike rider 🙂 but the way he's going this year so far, I do worry that he's going to end up as a classic 'good driver who never quite made the grade' and will be off to a smaller/slower team next year.

BigJohn

I thought Webber could have had a grumble at Hamilton for moving about in the braking zone, but he took it on the chin.

Probably because he didn't want to get hit by a flying dummy or rattle.

clubber
    Free Member

LOL. Nah, Webbo was clearly the one who got it wrong there.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I thought Webber could have had a grumble at Hamilton for moving about in the braking zone, but he took it on the chin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYOU4bf7EJA

I'm sorry, WHAT?

a) you're allowed to move once, he only moved once
    b) he's moving to avoid alonso and line up for the pass.

Even Webber admits that he cocked up pure and simple. Some people will find any excuse to have a dig.

thepurist

For anyone who's planning to record the Malaysian GP I just spotted that it's split between BBC1 (8-10) and BBC (9.55 to 11). My fancy automated recorder wouldn't have got the 2nd bit as they've thoughtfully overlapped the two shows.

clubber
    Free Member

Thanks for pointing that out – don't suppose my V+ box would have worked that out either.

glenp
    Free Member

Webber merely dived in hoping that Hamilton was going to make it stick and he would be able to capitalise on the situation. Hamilton failed, and Webber had nowhere to go. For which he apologised. Big deal.

I've no idea why so many people are against MW – fantastic driver, very straight talking, nice guy, exceptionally brave, silly-fast. What's not to like?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

glenp- well done, you read my thread, yet didn't understand it. History will prove, but you'll have to wait a bit. We'll pop back in ten years time and see if he's a World Champ. I'll have a quid he isn't.

He was a team mate of Webber, who he was mostly behind; and the year after Alex Wurz, another German wunderkind who never quite lived up to the promise that he showed in the minor formulae. He wasn't bad, but he was not as good as the hype.

69er
    Free Member

glenp

I've no idea why so many people are against MW – fantastic driver, very straight talking, nice guy, exceptionally brave, silly-fast. What's not to like?

He made a poor start
    He made many many errors
    He doesn't know when to admit his lack of talent is going to prevent him from finishing. The guy makes a lot of mistakes. Too many to be a top driver.

The guy has a great attitude, is very likeable but I don't think he'll ever be Champion.

And he prevented Lewis capitalising on the mistake he forced Alonso into. That is the difference between the two.

glenp
    Free Member

Can't see there was much to fail to understand, ScottChegg. You used the word "journeyman", which I think is unjustified on the evidence of his career so far? Seems pretty straightforward to me. I'm not saying he definitely is going to be WDC (unlike Vettel, who will need to desperately unlucky not to get it) but I do think his class is way above "journeyman".

kona_ona – yep, MW had a scrappy race (who didn't – Alonso went to the back of the field, the race winner ran into the gravel but managed to keep going, Massa nearly caused an absolutely horrendous accident – and so-on). But where do you get this "He doesn't know when to admit his lack of talent is going to prevent him from finishing." What a crock. Lack of talent? Huh? He is among the very fastest, and he doesn't give in – what's not to like? I can't see any difference between LH and MW in that regard – in that incident Lewis just barely missed taking Alonso out for example. So MW are pretty similar as far as driving style and determination is concerned. Its just that Mark Webber isn't a cocky liar.

69er
    Free Member

Lack of talent = look at his results. Hardly earth shattering.

He is an awesome driver, pretty near the top of F1. He may break through this year and produce consistent results. I hope he will, but I would bet a penny on it happening.

He doesn't give in, that's very creditable. Sure he's quick, they're all quick. But I don't believe he has the concentration needed to succeed in F1 at the top level.

in that incident Lewis just barely missed taking Alonso out for example. So MW are pretty similar as far as driving style and determination is concerned. Its just that Mark Webber isn't a cocky liar.

Point 1. Lewis did miss Alonso, and would have passed him exiting the corner. He forced an error from the most complete driver on the grid.

Point 2. Webber just piled into the back of Hamilton. Not the first major error he made that day.

Point 3. I rather go for a bike ride with Mark Webber, but if my mortgage were on it I'd back Lewis Hamilton every time. 😉

uplink
    Free Member

I see the "journeyman" is struggling to beat his [Rain Miester] team-mate again 😉

grantway
    Free Member

Yer best action when there is a pile up :mrgreen:

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘F1 – Was it any good?’ is closed to new replies.