• This topic has 2,563 replies, 197 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 2,564 total)
  • F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)
  • thepurist

Just like the old days of proper Silverstone then, before they slowed em down with that chicane at Woodcote

slowoldman

Like a boat?

njee20
    Free Member

and will the brakes be a bit cold by Stow

Stone cold I imagine! Even Hockenheim of old didn’t have such long gaps in braking. I look forward to inevitable overshoots at Stowe!

the-muffin-man

With Sauber running a 2016 Ferrari engine I can’t see them getting anywhere near the points this season (or even off the back row of the grid). With the removal of the token system the engine suppliers are talking of big performance gains over winter and last years Ferrari engine just won’t cut it this year.

And there is no Manor to make them look respectable either.

Klunk
    Free Member

one may laugh at the ugly old ferrari up there ^^^ but least it came from a era that if all the cars were painted the same colour you could still tell them apart 😉

retro83
    Free Member

The Sauber looks great. A bit of a Rothmans vibe to it. Really nice livery IMHO, just needs a few more sponsors.

donald
    Free Member

retro83
    Free Member

Is that the new canopy red bull are testing?

the-muffin-man

At the minute I’m not a fan of the angled rear wing endplates. Looks A1-GP inspired and something a child would draw.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Those airbox sail things are going to annoy me. They still haven’t got rid of those silly stub noses, either.

I welcome the wider cars – I remember looking at the new 1998 cars and thinking that they looked impossibly narrow, but so far I’m disappointed that the 2017 cars look like the 2016 cars but with lower rear wings.

If I had my way, all F1 cars would look and sound like a Ferrari 640 or McLaren MP4/6.

the-muffin-man

…but so far I’m disappointed that the 2017 cars look like the 2016 cars but with lower rear wings.

Same here – perhaps they need to shorten the wheelbase.

We’ll see what Renault serve up this afternoon.

legend
    Free Member

They’ll look better on track I reckon, until they are stuck line astern due to effectively making the tracks narrower with even shorter braking distances

thepurist

Who’ll take me up on a bet that Renault launch with a black and yellow livery, which they’ll change to yellow and black before the season (see Zebra thread for the difference).

Oh and it’ll have a stub nose, a shark fin, a massively convoluted front wing and look remarkably similar to the Williams and Sauber.

the-muffin-man

Who’ll take me up on a bet that Renault launch with a black and yellow livery, which they’ll change to yellow and black before the season (see Zebra thread for the difference).

I bet there will be less yellow, but a large dollop of green from BP/Castrol.

thepurist

Nah, the green will be with the orange on the Mclaren

retro83
    Free Member

Renault car unveiling is live streaming from here in 10 mins https://www.renaultsport.com/?lang=en

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Just pull the bloody cover off the car………..

the-muffin-man

Well there’s a first – a live F1 launch stream that works!

the-muffin-man

…oops – nope – stopped at the end of the pitlane! 😀

the-muffin-man

…and we’re off again.

And looking at the colour of the stage there will be a lot of grey on the new car.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I do wish they’d stop B——–ing on about stuff and just show the bloody car.

legend
    Free Member

This is F1 though, wwwwaaaaayyyyyy more talking balls before and after the event that the actual event itself

the-muffin-man

Prost now!

…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

PJM1974
    Free Member

And twenty five minutes in we’re STILL looking at four, receding middle aged guys sat awkwardly on pub stools, no doubt discussing ‘kinematics’, endlessly repeating ‘for sure!’ and ‘technical challenges…’.

Alain Prost is old enough to remember when new car launches involved a soggy Silverstone circuit in February, with the new car being followed around by the ubiquitous Renault Espace carrying a tow-rope and some men wearing garishly coloured ski jackets.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Twenty-nine minutes.

Whoever decided on these press conferences needs to be taken outside and shot.

the-muffin-man

This will get the younger fans engaged in F1!

PJM1974
    Free Member

This will get the younger fans engaged in F1!

They’ll say “who are those old farts and why are they talking shite? Where’s the car?”

Finally. Looks exactly like the Sauber, but in yellow/dark grey.

I’m out.

the-muffin-man

It’s neither – it’s black AND yellow! 😀

retro83
    Free Member

nose looks good

sharkfin looks merde though

also dem trousers 😆

PJM1974
    Free Member

Here’s how Formula One car launches should be done.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tGlUQ7nbdk[/video]

milky1980
    Free Member

I’ve still got the video that ^ was taken from somewhere 😆

All I’m taking from the car launches so far is that they don’t look too different in reality, certainly nowhere near as much as was promised, and that the front tyres look to have a very rounded profile compared to the rears. Doesn’t fill me with faith that Pirelli have got them right this time 😕

the-muffin-man

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/02/21/pictures-renaults-new-f1-car-for-2017-breaks-cover/

Looks like it may be a matt paint finish from the overhead pic.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Looks like a Jordan…..

milky1980
    Free Member

They had areas with matt paint last year too. RedBull claim their matt paint gives them a slight aero advantage, sort of like the dimples on a golf ball helping it travel further. Probably a tiny, tiny difference in the windtunnel until it gets dirty or wet but I do like the look of it.

shermer75
    Free Member

Loved that video PJM1974, thanks for posting! 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

Ooof, the new Force India is a bit rumple fuggers

front wing is quite busy 😯

the-muffin-man

Definitely a 10 pinter!

Not pretty.

And FIA should ban the sharkfin before the first race. The others looked sort of OK, but this looks like they’re carrying a sheet of MDF back from B&Q.

nickc

You have to work quite hard to make something designed to be sleek and aerodynamic look pig ugly.

Step forward F1 designers… 😯 🙄

shermer75
    Free Member

front wing is quite busy

the-muffin-man

Sidepods look very wide too compared to the Renault and Sauber.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 2,564 total)

The topic ‘F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)’ is closed to new replies.