Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Extremely LOUD temporary pedestrian crossing- Going nuts!
  • DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

Despite first appearances from the title this is not a NIMBY rant but a request for help from the knowledgeable folk here on STW.

The issue is that with roadworks outside the house the two sets of permanent traffic lights have been replaced with temporary traffic lights which are annoying the wotsit out of us with the loud, piercing, high pitched noise of the audible signal going off several times a minute non-stop throughout the day. I work at home and am slowing going nuts and my wife is often on night shifts and unable to sleep during the day.

The two temporary pedestrain crossings either side of a central island are incredibly loud and piercing. Doesn’t sound like much but the pneumatic drilling of the roadworks is drowned out by these damned things. Again, doesn’t sound too bad but between the two sets of lights I’ve counted them going off 18 times in the last 10 minutes. It is like a car alarm going off non-stop throughout the day and I’m pretty sure I’ll go nuts by the end of the 4 months that the roadworks are planned for.

I have put concerns in writing to the council but been ignored up until now. I will phone in the week but I can’t see the person on the other end of the phone being able to do much more than pass the message on.

So I guess the question is, is it acceptable to have such loud piercing audible signals at pedestrian crossings going off 18 times in 10 minutes non-stop throughout the day. Am I left with just lumping it for 4 months or are there any guidelines or regulations on this type of thing?

I’ve lived in cities all my adult life so am not adverse to a bit of noise but living with the equivalent of a car alarm going off all day every day is getting a bit much 😕

Greybeard
    Free Member

If you aren’t getting any response from council staff, try asking your elected Councillor to take the matter up for you. Have you been asking the part of the Council that deals with roadworks, or the part that deals with noise nuisance?

andyl
    Free Member

is there a phone number on them somewhere? There is normally contact details for the contractor on them.

DanW
    Free Member

I have written and emailed to both departments. The phone contact is a generic one though.

The roadworks are a bit of a weird one in that the elected Councillors and other officials within the council are the ones who have been pushing forward the work against the residents wishes (lots of issues such as all residents parking bays planned to disappear and lots of strange design choices that offer little to no benefit over the existing layout). It wasn’t something that was requested by residents/ but is somehow for our benefit without any benefits 😕 Local business in the road are deeply unhappy with the plans too, again for a variety of reasons.

Anyway, there isn’t a great relationship between the people who should be there to help and the local residents/ businesses. Although I haven’t had any part in this I suspect it might be contributing to the concerns I’ve raised being ignored which is frustrating 😕

4 months of roadworks is tolerable but the non-stop loud, high pitched pedestrian crossings are less fun

DanW
    Free Member

is there a phone number on them somewhere? There is normally contact details for the contractor on them.

Hadn’t thought of this. I’ll have a look. Thanks!

j4mie
    Free Member

Whereabouts are you and what work is being done?

Greybeard
    Free Member

elected Councillors and other officials

It’s not unusual to find that the officers (paid staff) have different objectives to the elected Councillors (who should be setting the policy). Is your Councillor in the party or parties in power, or in opposition? This can often be significant if you want them to take a line against what’s being done. Certainly I would talk to the Councillor in your ward or whatever 1 to 1 – if they are not aligned to what residents want, they need to explain why; either they supported the policy and should have reasons, or they opposed it and will help you argue your case.

MrSmith
    Free Member

can of expanding foam if you can locate the emitter.

matt_outandabout

Mr smith ftw

oliverd1981
    Free Member

or gafer tape some neoprene foam over the sounder – at least then the pedestrians will be able to hear it, and it won’t have been permenantly damaged if you get your collar felt.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I was thinking hammer but tape may be more sensible

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bombers should quieten them a bit. Once you disable the noise box at night pop a note on explaining it’s noisy. after that relocate them to your councillors drive way.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Extremely LOUD temporary pedestrian crossing- Going nuts!’ is closed to new replies.