Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Extreme work boredom
  • molgrips
    Free Member

So I'm working for a very big IT company, contracted out to the site of another very big IT company working for a govt client – working in a particular speciality.

The work on my area's basically dried up due in part to ineffective process. I've got a couple of loose ends to do and that's it. I'm currently signed up here until the middle of May. So I am literally just sat here.

ARGH! Help me!

jam-bo

DW time

pedalhead
    Free Member

"Work from home" for a while?

molgrips
    Free Member

DW?

tron
    Free Member

That's easy. My old job had a near enough 6 month "off" period. I suggest reading all the technical literature you have.

molgrips
    Free Member

Can't work from home, secure project. And I'm not meant to be not working, if you know what I mean.

molgrips
    Free Member

No technical literature.

Talkemada
    Free Member

I've managed to delete a file I was working on, and now have to do it all over again. I am feeling demoralised and struggling to find motivation. 🙁

pedalhead
    Free Member

Clearly you have access to the internet, the greatest time-waster ever invented.

jam-bo

DW?

danger ****

molgrips
    Free Member

Danger ****.. hmm.. the small room I am in is currently empty…

I do have access to the net but that feels like I am taking the piss. I'm on STW so much I am sitting here hitting refresh every 30secs to see if there are new posts!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Jam bo – that is hilarious.

Please elucidate as to what makes a W a DW 😀

vinnyeh

I understand your pain. I was a (permie) part of a team retained to decommision and archive a system following completion of a takeover, with redundancy to follow. Had nearly a year of literally nothing to do. No line management in the building for us, so late starts, early finishes, long lunches, lots of duvet days. I have no idea how the 2 contractors on the team managed to live with themselves, but they somehow managed to keep on billing…

cynic-al
    Free Member

doing it somewhere you might get caught.

molgrips
    Free Member

It's deliberately putting yourself in a position where you might get caught, to add a bit of excitement to it.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Could be worse. You could be sitting at home bored, not getting paid for it.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Do you know how to build wheels? Perhaps download a copy of Roger Musson's book & teach yourself (the theory at least).

molgrips
    Free Member

On the original topic, I think that the management think I am supposed to be doing something but they don't really know what anyone is doing. A lot of other people are working dead hard, but there's really not much I can actually get involved with. Tricky.

And I am in fact a contractor. I'm billing because I've been bought and paid for, so I might as well get my share!

molgrips
    Free Member

Torsoinlake – at least then I'd be able to sit in the garden, watch TV or go riding in this lovely weather 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

Please elucidate as to what makes a W a DW

Something like this:

vinnyeh

And I am in fact a contractor. I'm billing because I've been bought and paid for, so I might as well get my share!

that was my point. You're not paid to be too proactive in such matters. 8)

eckinspain
    Free Member

try this

piha
    Free Member

Government client….sitting around playing on tinternet…..nothing to do till middle of May…..MY CHUFFING TAX MONEY!!!!!! 😕

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, mine too piha. I can't really say much more, although I'd like to.

warton
    Free Member

molgrips, who do you work for? sound suspiciously like what I do…

Bream
    Free Member

Some of the examples I have used over the years:

1)Get a copy Dragon Age: Origins or any other decent PC game;
    2)Bring in films/TV shows etc on a USB and watch them at work;
    3)Bring your bike into work for a service;
    4)Make parts for your bike;
    5)Read a book.

All worked for me 😆

pedalhead
    Free Member

1)Get a copy Dragon Age: Origins or any other decent PC game;
    2)Bring in films/TV shows etc on a USB and watch them at work;
    3)Bring your bike into work for a service;
    4)Make parts for your bike;
    5)Read a book.

Sounds rather like "working from home" to me 😉

Bream
    Free Member

YHM 😆

Should keep you interested for a couple of hours lol 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

Bream.. if I am SEEN to do any of those things I will end up in the sh*t quite significantly and also get the company I am employing in trouble..

Believe me, entertaining myself with a computer and no other constraints is not an issue 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

That spreadsheet is ace tho! You write that?

Bream
    Free Member

Can't take the credit for that, my .xls skills are not that good 😆

BTW, of course being NOT SEEN is a given for all activities 😉

odannyboy
    Free Member

get a clip board and walk around the site looking busy?
    e bay every single thing you can spare and anything you can find as well (contents of the works desk etc)
    reserch every single thing you are interested in

ive had simular thing recently. my problem is my eyes get sore from staring at webpages for so long!

MrNutt
    Free Member

build a fort out of server cabinets and old back up tapes then hold the girl from accounts hostage in a tower overlooking the canteen

molgrips
    Free Member

On the plus side, I am using my own personal laptop connected via an un-monitored guest internet connection.. so gaming is an option. But I can't see people coming until they fling the door open and see my screen.. which is a risk.

Call it danger-surfing.

DezB
    Free Member

I've got enough to do, but all the frickin jibber jabber nonsense blah blah blah all around me in the open plan office wrecks any concentration I have. So I sit here occasionally opening windows with work stuff in, then flicking back to STW, Twitter etc cos I can't work.
    Boredom is so bloody stressful!

afrothunder88

build a fort out of server cabinets and old back up tapes then hold the girl from accounts hostage in a tower overlooking the canteen

This, sir, is pure, unadulterated awesome.

I'm currently looking at a crap load of server cabinets and old servers…..

molgrips
    Free Member

I wish I could moan freely about this, but you would believe how badly run this thing is. Makes Dilbert look like the SAS. Seriously. I thought my last place was bad but this takes the cake. You could not make it up.

NZCol

Being constructive you could do some study or something ? Perfect time to increase or broaden your skills. I did all my cissp study in 2000 on a secure site – most of it was Reading anyway and at that time there were no test questions. 2 months of Reading meant passing was easy. Or a DW.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Cant you get hold of one of those screens where people can only see whats on your monitor when directly behind you?
    We have them at work! No need to panic if there's anything on your monitor that shouldn't be there! 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I should probably study for my Java certification or something. Gotta keep my eye in. My later Java and J2EE are a bit out of date.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Extreme work boredom’ is closed to new replies.