Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Extreme cold in my shed – bad for shocks??!
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I just went out to the shed to get something and had a quick bounce on my bike (the way you do).

The shock has gone very firm and makes a terrible noise!

I guess it’s the damping oil thickening up or something?

Is there any long term effect on shocks/forks from cold ( it’s been -7 here and I don’t think it’s a lot warmer in the shed as my bike shoes are frozen stiff).

Ta

wysiwyg
    Free Member

yeah, just the oil getting thicker, no long term effect.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Older fox shocks had an issue with some of the seals failing in cold weather. Around 2006 iirc?

Your shock isn’t dead until it is warm and dead.

LoCo
    Free Member

If it’s an air shock (fox?) the float fluid in the air sleeve will be thicker and make more noise when passin through the positive/negative chamber transfer port, the oil in the damper for air and coil shock may also be affected too causing noise warm your shocks up a a little before riding, especially air shock to reduce the chance of them ‘sticking down’
    😀

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

It’s a 2010 boost valve rp23 , only a few rides old too!

It doesn’t feel very pleasant! :-/

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Is it an elastomer shock? 😯

solamanda
    Free Member

That’s normal, ignore.

hypan
    Free Member

i keep mine in the house so no problem there.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hmmm

So now my previously-quiet shock has developed a permanent and very loud squelch.

Any ideas? Would -8 degrees cause water crystals to form in the oil or some such thing?!

ta

druidh
    Free Member

LOL – like no one has ever kept a bike in a shed/garage at below -8C before now.

Seriously, some folk on here need to get a grip and stop imagining that they’re experiencing some sort of “extreme weather phenomenon”.

angryratio
    Free Member

It’s no worse than if you have a bike with a crap shock.

oxnop
    Free Member

My GF’s 1 ride old meta carbon has developed the same noise (rp23 BV) Washed the bikes and left outside for 10mins in the cold and now squelches during compression. All features work fine it’s just annoying. It’s been in the house now for past few hours and still sounds the same.

Looking on the Internet it seems that other users experience the same issue.

Entonox
    Free Member

Mines done the same. Squelching noise with also very poor performance. Defo something ‘gone’, no damping and when pro-pedal is switched on there’s a sort of ‘clunk’ mid stroke.

Partner that to my also new 36 Float RLC’s that have a bit of a knock on compression and don’t ride too good and I’m not too happy.

creaser
    Free Member

no worries mate when you take it on the plane,its get -50+ up there no probs when you get to the other end

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

no worries mate when you take it on the plane,its get -50+ up there no probs when you get to the other end

not in the pressurised, sealed and heated cargo hold it doesn’t.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hmm squelching seems odd when it was fine before, mind.

I realise -7/8 isn’t particularly extreme; it’d be interesting to know if shocks had a published range of operational temperature blah blah.

I mean, I really have no idea if Fox do test them in extreme cold/heat ?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmmm must say mine has seemed a little strange on propedal i seem to have all of a sudden gained a bit of pedal bob….rp23 on the propedal 3 is pretty much like locked out for me with my skinny frame, yet since the extreme cold spell ive noticed some bob on road climbs and the likes, not touched it nor altered anything….guessing when it warms up it may go back to normal?

doesnt seem to affect anything else on it i must add, in open position it performs the same as in summer….

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Extreme cold in my shed – bad for shocks??!’ is closed to new replies.