Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • external oak door, help needed!
  • samcamsdad

we've just bought a new oak back door and are unsure what to treat it with. dont want anything to dark like varnish. any one any ideas whats best?

MisterT

try finish line white lightning – wax based dry lube.

(or try the Chat forum!)

Stoner
    Free Member

danish oil or teak oil would be my first choices.

samcamsdad

finish line you say mister t, ill give it a go. have you tried ronseal on your chain, works a treat!
    cheers stoner ill take a look at the oils.

stoney
    Free Member

Danish Oil isnt hard waring enough for an external door. It`s OK but you will need to keep applying it regular, probaly 3 times a year, rubbing it down before each time.
    We have found the best one to be Osmo Hard Wax Oil. It goes on the same as varnish, thinned by approx 25% for the first coat and then neat after that. 3 coats will do it. It is the stuff used for wooden floors BTW and it is raelly hard waring.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Sikens

jumping_flea
    Free Member

Try this web site

http://www.directdoors.com/info/diy/caring-for-your-door

We are having an oak door fitted in the next few days and were looking for a suitable finish

As ChrisE says – they recommend Sikkens

samcamsdad

cheers tom, handy link that. heard sikkens mentioned elewhere too.

project
    Free Member

Danish oil, by rustins,great stuff put it on with a sponge.

jond
    Free Member

FWIW danish oil on the front door (pitch pine) of our last place just got more and more oxidised (I guess) till it was dark, patchy and needed to be cleaned off again. Might be different on oak but I'd want to be very convinced before trying it.

Dave
    Free Member

Another vote for Sikkens here.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Doesn't get any better than Sikkens, loads of colour too

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We have found the best one to be Osmo Hard Wax Oil.

Surely that is for internal wood, not external??????

I have just used Sikkens too (european oak door + frame + window frames) – has a 'varnish' effect but has a lovely sheen and goes on nicely.

BTW – if it is European oak be sure to seal it well and quickly – or it will go black when it gets damp. English oak goes silver so therefore weathers better.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘external oak door, help needed!’ is closed to new replies.