Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • External HD problem – no power
  • cakefest
    Free Member

my 3 year old WD Elements 640gb external HD isn’t connecting to my 6 month old iMac at all (it was fine about a month ago, i use it for monthly backups and some data storage). i’ve tried connecting it to my MacBook Pro but no joy. i’ve also downloaded the WD diagnostics software and run it through Parallels WinXP but still nothing. i’ve tried different plug points in the house, and a different USB cable but no joy.

i switched the 3 amp fuse in the adapter for a new one. the green light on the adapter came on when i plugged it into the mains, but as soon as i connect the adapter to the HD the green light goes off. no power.

wondering whether getting a new enclosure would allow me to keep using this drive and get to my data?

any clues??

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Think you’ve answered your own question there. Unfortunately its a a matter of replacing each link in the chain working until you find whats broken / discover the drive is fried !

When you power it on, can you hear a high pitched whining noise (hold drive to your ear) If not then its pointing towards the USB / Power board of the caddy.

If it is … does it appear in the Drive Utility when connected (would indicate a formatting / boot sector issue).

A handy tool for this sort of eventuality is a Sharkoon drive caddy, holds just about every type of portable media including SATA.

Sharkoon on amazon

Cougar

Does sound like the caddy rather than the disk. One way to find out.

Drac
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘External HD problem – no power’ is closed to new replies.