Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • External aerials for mobile wifi
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Looking at getting mobile wifi for use in an area of weak 3g signal.

There are a few which allow the connection of an external antenna.

There are a lot ofdiffent antennas out there which claim a wide variety of dbi gain figures.

How accurate are these claims?

Can anyone recommend one?

andyl
    Free Member

is this for a MiFi type device you have a data plan for? If so it will still need a 3G/4G data connection to work.

Or is it for something to help with a wifi network?

gobuchul
    Free Member

If so it will still need a 3G/4G data connection to work.

There is a 3G connection. However, the signal is very weak and I need to put the MiFi unit in an awkward place. I was thinking that the aerial would allow me to put it somewhere more pratical and still get a signal.

dannybgoode

I don’t know what you know about dB gain but every 3 dB is a doubling. So 3 dB is double the gain over 0 dB, 6 dB is double 3 dB, 9 dB double 6 dB etc.

Wild claims of 20 dB gain need to be looked at as the gain over what – a piece of string? Very high gains can only be achieved at the expense of being highly directional also.

Advanced amateur radioist so have a good handle on antenna theory, gain etc.

gobuchul
    Free Member

danny – thanks for the info.

I know next to nothing about antenna theory but I knew that dB gain wasn’t straight forward.

This thing claims it is “35 dbi”. What does that mean?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016MJ5ZXY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1QQ3AZJZ322ZDA6V3VKE&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=867551807&pf_rd_i=desktop

5thElefant
    Free Member

I have one that looks like that. It doesn’t make any odds for me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘External aerials for mobile wifi’ is closed to new replies.