Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Exterior Christmas lights – Classy or Chavvy?
  • jekkyl

So what do the stw folks think of Exterior Christmas lights?

For me anything beyond a simple tree with lights or lights in the hedge or tree is naff and chavvy. I will allow a ‘santa stop here’ sign or reindeer for people with kids, but those houses that you see with half of poundland’s Christmas section festooning the outside of their abode is just ridiculous.

Why do they do it first of all?
    For their own enjoyment? so while sitting in their house watching tele they can look out their window and upon seeing a neon waving santa and they can think to themselves, ‘oh yeah we’re well Christmassy we are’
    For others to enjoy? so that others in the street can see that the people at no6 are the most Christmassy in the street because they have the biggest amount of plastic light up crap outside their 3 bed semi, costing half a tree a day to illuminate. I don’t get it.
    Thoughts?

killwillforchips
    Free Member

Its not either!

But it is trashy, cliche, naff & ultimately elitest posturing!

Silly fools trying to one up each other in the vague hope of beating their neighbours at putting up lights. …

How lame! but it will always happen; every year regardless!

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

They can be appropriate at times 😀

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Don’t put them up myself, but we have a Xmas tradition of walking around the local estates with a flask of mulled wine and looking at the lit up houses. Most are gaudy, some are tasteful and some are downright alarming! But it brings a smile to peoples faces so why not, it’s not your electricity bill is it?

cheers_drive

White lights around an outdoors tree looks classy in my opinion but some of the flashing multicolored abominations I see are definitely chavvy.
    In my stuck-up thinking they are also likely to be put up by people who also spend £200 on shite fireworks instead of spending £10 to take the family to a vastly superior public display.

DezB
    Free Member

They’ve probably seen it on Eastenders, so think its the right thing to do.

votchy
    Free Member

Single set of white icicle lights on the front of our house and a set of white lights on the garage, both sets being bulbs not LED and both on constant, looks ok to us.

jfletch
    Free Member

If they flash in any way then they are definately classy. Fact. or if they are blue.

headfirst
    Free Member

I know I’m swimming against the tide here on singlemindedopinionworld, but why judge them at all? Outdoor lights make me smile wherever I see them, the more the better!

Peyote
    Free Member

They’re just another way for the owners to cement their place in society, to advertise themselves to their neighbours. Unfortunately their neighbours may not be receiving the message they wish to send, but that’s what happens with such a simple form of communication!

Anyway, is it really any different to whatever other decorations they have for their lives? Their choice of car, mobile phone or other high status possession?

jota180
    Free Member

but why judge them at all?

that why the owners put them up don’t they?

bruneep

now the version I got sent had see you next tuesday in lights. So obviously they must flash alternatively

patriotpro
    Free Member

Seen some nice tree lights, light blue led type mainly.

Seens a few that are a bit gordy too.

Each to their own I suppose.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I like them. But I’m a pleb at heart.

Houns

Chav

hammerite
    Free Member

No one on our street goes OTT with lights. But my house is the only house with no lights on every year. We must look like real misery guts.

jekkyl

I like icey blue lights, twinkling gently in a tree or a hedge, looks great when I cycle past at night. The other night I saw a massive inflatable light up Santa Homer, well classy!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Exterior Christmas lights – Classy or Chavvy?’ is closed to new replies.