Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Extensions, No not those sort…
  • StuF

We're looking to move house – need more room (expanding kids + crap don't fit into the current one).

We were looking a 4 beds but I was wondering if a 3 bed and then building an extension to give us the 4/5th room would be better/cheaper. We don't want to extend our current house as the street is crap and don't have much room to extend.

Any idea for a ball park figure for a 2 storey extension.

I know the stw collect will be able to help

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

very very hard to say. How big? What material? Pitched roof?

Say £30 000 – £100 000 ? Unlikely to be less and unlikely to be more??????

jam-bo

need to balance the ease of moving into what you want over the distruption of living in a building site for 6 months.

or have you got the funds to rent for 6 months while the work is done.

plenty of sites out there that give pretty accurate estimates of what it'll cost per sq ft. The housebuilders bible is a good book.

I did all the sums on my place and it doesn't really add up. would cost upwards of £70k to build what I want and only add 30-40k of value. Access , limited space and difficult ground bumped the estimates up. shame as its a great street/location.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I doubt it would be as little as £30k for two stories.

All depends on work required (underpinning, RSJs placing etc etc etc) and level of finish required but I would estimate £50k>.

FWIW we just spent £25k (no VAT – this will have a huge impact if your contractor charges it) on a single storey extension + change of use of an understairs storage area to a little loo. It was finished to a high standard though – solid wood flooring, real oak window frames, Velux in the roof etc.

*In the distance we can see the mast at the top of Stainburn Edge – it shouts to me every time I look in that direction 🙂

geoffj

real oak window frames

Are those the ones with the added ventilation features 😆

Did you ever get it resolved?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Are those the ones with the added ventilation features

Did you ever get it resolved?
    LOL yes it did – he came back with all of his assistants and managed to complete it to a standard we were satisfied with.

fenboy

can be anything from £900/sqm to £1300/sqm depending on site what you want etc. so upwards of £40-50k not likely you'll see a return on the total cost for a number of years. plus costs of renting while works ongoing allow 6 mnths. Your best bet is to speak to an architect or an architectural designer/technologist who knows the area you are looking at. We normally don't charge for a first consulation/discussion.

the cost and hassle would probably outweigh buying the right size house from the outset. its normally better if you like the house and want to stay but need more space or can't afford/don't want to move? unless you're relocating to somewhere where you can't get the size of property you want!

oopnorth
    Free Member

We had a 2 storey extension done last year, also had a major landscaping job done at the same time, altogether it was about £65K. We had it done with a resonable local builder, we had a lot of quotes which ranged from £50K – £120K!!! Shop around & don`t always go with the cheapest.

Just another point…I would not do it again, it was a right hassle. 🙂

StuF

Cheers for the replies, that sort of confirms what I'd expected. Maybe we should look for one that's been done already.

The power of the collective stw.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Extensions, No not those sort…’ is closed to new replies.