Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Extension building help…
  • jackoinmoss
    Free Member

Ok so I have got planning permission to build a garage on the side of my house.
    Strangly I thought this would be the tricky bit. Now the fella who did the drawings for this has dissapeared off the face of the planet leaving me with no building drawings, the builders who wouldnt quote until they had planning drawings all now want building drawings.

Oh and I have just been Quoted £750 to prepare these drawings and submit application for building regs.

I would like to add it is a single staorey garrage with a pitch roof not a mansion (This seems to put alot of them off)

Can anyone out there make me a recomendation (Other than move house) how I can get somone intrested in taking a fair amount of money off me to do this work?

Gooner
    Free Member

any descent builder should be able to quote accurately from the planning drawings (he can get quantities from this) and a specification from you (what type ofdoor and frame you want, floor finish (screed or concrete, electrics, roof tiles, guttering etc)

search for a builder by recommendation from neighbours, friends etc
    £750 seems alot unless it includes the fees (unlikely) engineers calculations etc

another though worth considering (if you are having a pitched roof) get it constructed using "cut timbers" rather than trusses with floor joist instead ofceiling joists – this would make extending above the garage at later date much easierand cheaper. You would most likely need to have the garage walls built in cavity construction or 9" solid brickwork

buffalobill
    Free Member

Had a similar issue a couple of years ago with our extension – the original architect quoted a ridiculous sum of money for the regs which I refused to pay.

The builders we had in were happy to quote for the work based on the planning drawings, stating assumptions/ caveats, and then we got the regs done just as the groundwork started.

Builder had come on recommendation and had done a lot of local work which helped.

Archiedale
    Free Member

What part of this pleasant land you at?

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

Thanks so far as I thought some builders just dont want the work and would rather just make excuses rather than say so.

Archiedale; I am in Mossley on Oldham edge of Saddleworth.

samuri
    Free Member

**** NAZI's! Worse than that, **** nazi's with a great big chip on their shoulder. And I quote

(planning permission bloke who came round to our house)
    "I live in a little terrace and I'm quite happy with that. I don't understand why people need to extend their houses."

Obviously he said no. So we got a architect type bloke in who quickly told us how to frig the rules and it looks like it's going through now, which is ridiculous because it is quite obviously a frig. It has nothing to do with whether it actually affects our neighbours or not. Jumped up little worm.

AdamM
    Free Member

Unfortunately, council planners all over the world appear to be much the same, although the ones in Britain do seem to have even greater power regarding tiny details of what you might want to do. Power mad, relatively lowly paid individuals who delight in making life difficult for others, the lot of them.

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

One of our conditions is the drive can be no more than 1 in 15.
    Not that unusual?
    I live on a hill tht is easily 1 in 4 must be I have to change onto granny ring to ride up it!
    Not that planning types would get hung up on any detail that takes there fancy.

higgo
    Free Member

I won't go into details (it still hurts too much) but we ended up in a meeting where the architect and I sat there silently as the planning officer and conservation officer argued between themselves. It went something like this…

Planning: "the point on which you are objecting is not part of your jurisdiction"
    Conservation: "I know that but I feel it should be so I'm going to object"
    Planning (to me): "If he objects I have to take it into consideration"
    repeat for half an hour or more.

Public servants? They are an utter disgrace.

It was a theoretical exercise for them based on regultation, precedent and hierarchy. For us it meant we didn't have enough bedrooms for our children for a year.

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

Does £650 sound like alot to anyone else for detailed building drawings?

fenboy

£650 seems right to me, depends on the service being offered for that

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Extension building help…’ is closed to new replies.