Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Exposure Trace/Tracer – too bright?
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

Evening all. I recently started commuting to work and need some new lights.

I’ve had a set of Lezyne Femtos for ages and they’re fine for what I’ve been using them for – to make me a bit more visible on daytime road rides when it’s a bit grey and overcast – but they really weren’t any good on my commute.

My commute is 15 miles each way, mostly on lit roads, although there are a few bits that are unlit around Putney and through Richmond Park. My front light was absolutely useless at actually lighting the road in those sections, and because they’re the old version of the Femtos, both the front and rear only have flashing modes, which I understand isn’t great for commuting in traffic.

I’ve heard good things about the Exposure Trace/Tracer lights, but I’m slightly concerned that they might be too bright? I was blinded quite a few times on my commute by other riders with lights that were like car headlights on full beams, so would rather avoid doing that to others.

Any suggestions?

I’m also considering getting a Cateye Rapid Mini rear light, as Cateye do a mount that attaches directly to pannier racks, which seems a good idea to me. Evans were doing the Cateye Rapid Mini in a set with the 200 XC front light for £36 up until yesterday, but sadly they’ve now sold out.

Thanks!

ianbradbury

There really is merit to the German lights, such as the Ixon Core, which don’t dazzle, but do provide good visibility. On my unlit commute the Sigma Stereo works well on the rear, but I’m aware that most urban riders go with brighter, generally flashing, lights (such as the Tracer).

I will say though that having followed someone with a rear flasher on the Etape Royale, I could happily have shot the light with an air pistol.

ashfanman
    Free Member

So you’d suggest never using a flashing light on the front or rear? Even if it’s while cycling on lit roads just in order to be seen, rather than to see the road?

The German lights sound exactly what I’m looking for, although recent English-language reviews are pretty thin on the ground. I see they also do an Ixon IQ, which appears to be largely the same as the Core, but with removable AA batteries, rather than a built-in rechargeable one. I had figured that a built-in battery would be better, but now I think about it, maybe it would be better to have standard batteries, so I could carry spares in case it dies en route?

I’m also slightly concerned that the battery life on the Core is only 3 hours on high. My commute is an hour each way, so that’s going to require daily charging. The low light version is 15 hours, which is plenty, but I’ve got no idea how bright 12 lux is!

Shame that Exposure can’t just make a light with a lens that doesn’t blind other road users – their build quality is great.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ianbradbury

I’d say the IQ Premium might be ideal – its what I commute with.

I can see the point of rear flashers in some situations, but more in daylight to be honest – my comment was more that I struggled following someone with a flasher, but if it makes you (feel) safer in street lighting go for it. I can’t personally abide riding with a front flasher, again that may say more about me, and that my riding is generally in the true dark.

scaredypants

the trace/tracer are really quite bright – IMO and IME as a driver, too bright (or not focussed enough as you prefer) for road use in the dark (especially if flashing) but fantastic for dusk and daylight

ALso IMO, if what you want is not to be hit, get a reflective top and shine a light or two on yourself

ashfanman
    Free Member

I’d say the IQ Premium might be ideal – its what I commute with.

Better than the Core? Or have you not personally tried that one?

I’ve had a look and B&M do a set with the Core and a small rear light called the Ixxi. It’s not massively bright, but probably bright enough and apparently has a wide angle of light. It is also USB chargeable. I could then get a Cateye Rapid Micro to mount to my pannier rack, which I could run on flash or pulse to give me both a constant and flashing rear light. Sound sensible?

Also IMO, if what you want is not to be hit, get a reflective top and shine a light or two on yourself

Yes, I think not getting hit would be preferable. I already have a bright orange jacket with reflective bits. Also have reflective bits on my shorts and shoes.

The above would be three lights in total – one front and two rear. Not sure I could justify (or afford) too many more!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Trace and tracer are not bright . They are ,110 lumens

It’s just the beams unfocused and many people point em too high

I have an b +m iqx on my commuter bike. It’s much brighter but focused. Means I can see in the dark but can also ride in town without blinding folk

Re flashing a flashing light on its on
    Own makes it hard to judge distance. So I use one along side a solid non flashing light . Good to catch the eye.q

ferrals
    Free Member

Having watched a group of guys riding on an unlit road round here recently, I was amazed at how visual reflectors on spokes are. I know shouldn’t be surprised but so few people use them you forget.

ianbradbury

The Ixon Premium is brighter than the Core (not sure that matters for your application) and uses AA batteries. Either would be fine I think. The Ixxi is small, but Thursday night I happily rode back 12 miles onroad from a trail route with just that on the rear and some reflective strips on my trousers. No problems at all with cars. But again, this is unlit rural roads, I can see why you might worry on a lit street.

So, to be definite, I would go with either the Core or the IQ depending on whether USB charging matters, with a Sigma Stereo or Ixxi rear, and I’d add at the rear either the Cateye or a Smart lunar.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Exposure Trace/Tracer – too bright?’ is closed to new replies.