• This topic has 36 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Exposure six pack or Maxx D or anything else.
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

If you were to pick one of these which would you go for?

Are there any viable alternatives? I’d ideally like an all in one unit and long burn times, but I’m open to suggestions.

I’ve only had hope lights in the past.

I don’t want eBay or other source Chinese jobbies either.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d go for a Maxx D personally as it’s enough lumens and burn times for me. If you want an all-in-one design and can afford them I don’t think there’s anything that rivals the Exposures

steve_b77
    Free Member

What sort of real burn times do you get if you don’t mind me asking

jk1980
    Free Member

I was considering this and went for the Maxx d as I thought it would be enough – and its more than enough – really pleased with it. I get well over 2 hours on full.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I have a MaxxD that’s approaching 3 years old and I still get just over 2 hours on full, it’s been really reliable and excellent with my only gripe being that the optional (and expensive) remote control is a bit flaky.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my maxx d is 7 years old now and is still powerful enough to feel like the sun !

get about 2hrs 45 on full (STILL after 7 years pretty much constant use all year round)

and on low they lasted for the whole of the strathpuffer 24 solo.

just changed mine out for a revo though for unlimited burn time and 800lumens is more than enough IME.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

unlimited burn time

Is this some new wonder battery TR? 😆

scaled
    Free Member

the Revo is their dynamo offering 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Haha! just googled it! 😆

MSP

Is this some new wonder battery TR?

It is a dynamo light.

Although I didn’t get on all that well with mine, I found that it dropped into low light mode too often for me.

This year I have gone for a torro on the bars, and a lupine r4 on the helmet. If you are using a helmet light and a handlebar light then IMO the maxx d is overkill. I like the convenience of the all in one exposure design, but have to admit I think the lupine is a better light. If I had to choose one then I would go with the lupine.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Bought the Maxx D, daytime at night awaits

xcstu
    Free Member

Massive thumps up for Exposure lights..

Had the original Maxx D and loved it.. used for many races and evening rides and was faultless.. Moved on to the 6 pack when they first came out and at the time was silly bright.. The only downside for me was its size! They are not small on the handlebars…

Just recently my good wife bought me the new Maxx D mk8 and wow they have really moved on again… Seriously bright even on the medium setting! Have gone a bit smallER in size and weight and a nice readout display on the back..

Have had a fair few other light from exposure and their customer service also been great if any issues or queries regarding their lights.. No brainer for me 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, over the years I’ve been through the whole Chinese experience, moving onto Smudges stuff and finally getting to Exposure.

Brilliant lights, and great value when you take into account how long the reliability and performance.

iainc

current MaxxD here and can’t really fault it. The intelligent auto settings work well, but can compromise ride time as it averages output based on history of the ride so far. It is supposed to go for over 2 hrs on brightest auto setting, but if you were to ride slowly mainly uphill for first hour and then faster downhill for another hour, it would be empty, as the clever gubbins starts pumping out more light when it senses you are going faster and down the way. In this example, by half an hour in, it would think you are on a slow ride and start chucking out more light to achieve the target burn time, so when you turn at the top of the hill it gets a bit caught out. I raised this with USE and they gave me this as an example.

whiter74
    Free Member

Gemini Titan

I got a six pack also but this is a beast , love it Gemini Titan, reviewed it here.

Got the eight cell version, experiencing 2.5 ride on max and light still on green. Very light and compact to.

cubicboy
    Free Member

I have an Exposure Strada that will do circa 3hrs on full (1,000 lumens). I had a MaxxD but sent it back as it was too big / bright etc. The Strada is more than enough for me for commuting / road riding at night / MTB evening rides. I wasn’t sure of the remote switch at first but now love it.

benp1

I’m sure the Gemini Titan is good, but it looks like a comedy Chinese light – hmmm, 3 light units is obviously better than 1, lets solder them together

Exposure lights looks much better on your bars

whiter74
    Free Member

Benp1 – Its Canadian, great quality and not Chinese. Don’t knock anything until you try I say. 🙂 On par with my Exposure six pack, so both great.

trail_rat
    Free Member

lets be honest – neither the 6 pack nor the gemini titan are lookers…..both as ugly as sin.

benp1

@white74 – I wasn’t knocking the quality, I’m sure it’s an epic light. But I’d say my comment still stands, it’s literally like they’ve bolted together 3 of the light units

burko73

Toro works for me. Really pleased with it.

johnnystorm

Designed in Canada but definitely made in China, I’m sure it’s bright but looks like a clone of something else. My Mk2 six-pack is still going strong, output wise it’s probably closer to a maxxd than its new namesake but still holds a good charge and delivers the runtimes it was quoted with when new.

cricker
    Free Member

So i’m thinking an exposure setup, but i’m still not fully convinced. I was looking at either the six pack or maxx d combined with a diablo. But was also considering equinox mk2 because of remote switch. Cant seem to see any stock of equinox anywhere anymore though. wiggle.com.au said the item has been discontinued…

I wanted to know from you exposure owners out there, how these lights handle crashes? I do tend to find myself on the ground hard at least once every 6 months… Wondering if they’ll stand up to some serious bike cartwheels or such?

Also should i go a six pack, and ride on medium, or a maxx d and ride on medium… beam angles seem to be similar on the latest versions so not sure it’ll make too much difference and the six pack provides an extra 1400 lumens if required (which I highly doubt id ever need)….

Ahh decisions…. I like all the lights everywhere! Cant decide… TraiLed DS and XXX look amaze balls on light beams, color but their batteries are chunky and have cables… liek the appeal of the all in 1, but also the exposures look like a can of beans 🙂

momo

I have a MAxxD for the bars and a Diablo for the helmet, it’s a good combination, usually run the MaxxD on a 4hr setting and 2 hr on the Diablo and turn it down for non tech link sections. The TAP function on the helmet light is very handy for cycling through the power modes quickly.

Using one of these to mount it to my helmet as I don’t have a central vent. Will probably add a support cell to my diablo this year as I want to extend my night rides.

I’ve never had any faults on mine in the 18 months since I bought them, only complaint is that they do take a while to charge, but unlike my chinese lights, I’m not worried about charging them inside the house!

tenfoot

Ive had some high speed crashes when my Maxx D was on the bars. I’ve had no problems, even when it’s been obvious that it has hit the ground, as the lens is covered in mud.

Just don’t drop it from height. Mine fell off my fridge, 6ft onto the garage concrete floor, and I had to send it in for repair.

zippykona

I bought a joystick for my helmet last year. It’s so light (!)I never bother to take it off. Really impressed .
    It has meant that I can leave my great big lights at home and just have a small light for flood on the bars.

iainc

current versions of MaxxD and Joystick here, having had various older versions of same lights for past 6 or 7 years.

I fall off a fair amount and light shave never suffered. I run the MaxxD on auto High, which is more than enough for a regular 2 and a bit hour night ride. I tend to have the Joystick on medium, switching up to high for twisty faster stuff. It’s no problem toggling the helmet button.

Kryton57

and on low they lasted for the whole of the strathpuffer 24 solo.

Interested in this. For 24’s I uses Smudges Lumenator atm, which is on a separate helmet, battery in lightweight backpack all ready to slip on during a pitstop. I would also have Lumen800 as the bar light.

The whole thing is a bit heavy.

How good are the maxx D’s at “low” for riding singletrack when you’re 12 hours into a solo and tired, mounted on the bars?

adsh
    Free Member

How good are the maxx D’s at “low” for riding singletrack when you’re 12 hours into a solo and tired, mounted on the bars?

They’re OK but need a helmet to back them up.

I use a MaxxD for 12hr races on a 6hr setting and it’s good but it definately needs some help from a helmet lamp. When a team rider is in the vicinity (probably with a million lumens on a 1hr setting) it’s pretty feeble.

For a 24hr I suspect you’d be happy to have 2 MaxxDs or the longer burn of a Sixpack.

andrewndy
    Free Member

I have the MaxxD, love it however I do a night ride once a week with a group and there are always the inevitable breather breaks. It is the most infuriating thing that the MaxxD is a touch screen button and not a physical button. Apart from that gripe I do love it.

trusty

I’ve got an older maxx d and diabolo, both 3/4 years old and work perfectly. I’m often out 2 or 3 times a week too. The Mrs has the new versions, both much brighter with similar burn times. Not 100% convinced on the new touch pad instead of a button on the maxx d, the old style button is much easier to use. Although, if you put it on automatic you don’t need to use it much.

The handle bar brackets are a touch fragile, I’ve broken 4 I think but that’s over about 6 years

cricker
    Free Member

Hmmm ok I’m thinking a six pack with a Diablo. Run them both on medium. I may end up with a B52 stealth bomber electric bike in the next year or so and use it as my commuter to work on fire trails so may want the extra grunt of cruising at 40km/h.

I’ve made some paper measurement cylinders that mimics the max d and the six pack. The six pack is noticeably more can like but I think when I’m riding in the dark I ain’t looking at it at the end of the day so who cares

rossco832

Sorry to bump this thread but was wondering what the general consensus is on the Six Pack v the Maxx D been looking at both.

Would you pair this with a Diablo or a Joystick?

kuman
    Free Member

I have recently replaced my maxx d mk2 with maxx d mk8. It’s just brilliant, in my opinion best off road light in exposure’s line up. I would only consider six pack over maxx d maybe for endurance racing etc.
    Pair it up with Diablo and you have perfect combo.

Alex

My diablo is a couple of years old, Maxx-D is the Mark 9 I think. This years model – they’ve gone back to the button. I did have the touch one, but it didn’t work so they sent me a MK9. Much prefer it.

Use mine on the highest ‘reflex’ setting and it seems to last the 3 hrs. Diablo I’ve programmed for low and high and just use high for descents.

Had Lumi XPG3 before and the MAXX-D is a significant step up. With the diablo, hard to see how you could ever need any more light.

rossco832

Just ordered a Maxx D and a Diablo. I went up to the Relentless 24 and spoke to the guys in the Exposure booth and they were extremely helpful!

iainc

MaxxD mk8 and Joystick here. Just gone from a Mk10 to 11 Joystick and glad to see it’s back to being more of a spot. Interesting about the MK9 MaxxD dropping the capacitor switch, as mine was swopped out in the Spring when 6 months old due a faulty switch. If it goes again I guess I may get a MK9.

Great lights and superb aftercare.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Exposure six pack or Maxx D or anything else.’ is closed to new replies.