Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Exposure Lights – which one?
  • robdob
    Free Member

I am considering some off road lights and want some Exposure ones. I don’t want any other make so don’t go recommending cheap Chinese ones – been there done that.

Which Exposure light would be good for a bar mount off road light, preferably that can be used on the road too?

I don’t need the best at any price, rather a good value one that’ll be good for General XC duties, not 12/24hr races. 2-4 hour runtime would be ok.

Thanks.

MoreCashThanDash

I have a 2 year old Maxx-D. Great off road, poor beam for on road, even on the low setting, have to point it down and sideways, which is then useless for off road.

cubemeup
    Free Member

im using the maxx d for the bars and a diablo on the head. im sure only a few models work on the bars but 100% with the mounts

accu
    Free Member

have also a Maxx-D, MK5 since last spring and very happy with it,
    use it for everyday commuting, on and offroad, and for the nightrides as bar mounted light..
    really like the long runtime even in cold conditions,

njee20
    Free Member

They’ve all got a lot brighter for 2015, so the Race is probably adequate for your needs. The top ones also all have “Reflex technology” so they get brighter/dimmer as you go faster/slower.

It’s £120 cheaper than the Maxx D, although it’s ‘only’ 1200 lumens vs 2400 for the Maxx D

If you want a cheap option I’ve got an older Maxx D (960 lumens) I was going to sell for £100.

jimjam
    Free Member

Depending on the length of your rides anything from the axis, diablo, toro to maxx d would be good.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2015 Diablo, and it’s not that bright, personally I’d not want to use a setting that would last 4 hours off road. But then I used to ride with a 15w VistaLite halogen lamp, we’re just spoiled these days! I find my old Maxx D is brighter for a comparable stated output, guess it’s the different beam pattern.

robdob
    Free Member

They’ve all got a lot brighter for 2015, so the Race is probably adequate for your needs. The top ones also all have “Reflex technology” so they get brighter/dimmer as you go faster/slower.

It’s £120 cheaper than the Maxx D, although it’s ‘only’ 1200 lumens vs 2400 for the Maxx D

The Race seems like a good option – my chinese “1200 lumen” light was plenty enough for me and I assume the Exposure rating of 1200 is probably a little more honest and also I bet the beam pattern is miles better too!

Seems you can get the new version for around £200 too.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have the latest Maxx-D on my bars and an Axis on my helmet. It is way more than I need, I could easily manage with one or the other. If I were replacing them I’d probably get the Toro instead of the Maxx-D. Neither is good on the road if you feel at all bad about dazzling people but I never do more than a couple of hundred metres.

Don’t forget the maximum power quoted will not last long so you need a compromise between power and duration. I do find the reflex system good for this.

jonnyrockymountain

I have the new race (1200) and the new joystick (750) brilliant for both road and off road, nice and light and compact

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

If you have a local Exposure dealer they might have a demo light box for you to try or they might be able to get demo light (box) in for you.

I have a 4 year old Max-d and it still great, but the new one is well nice, sold a few new 2015 ones this year,
    the new 2015 race is the same power as my old Max d and has a real nice spread etc, and the ones who have demoed the lights have been v impressed with it.

Also don’t forget you can change the “program” of the light to get more run time etc out of them.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Exposure Lights – which one?’ is closed to new replies.