Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Exposure Handlebar mounts
  • Aidy
    Free Member

So, after really liking the Exposure Lights handlebar mount mechanism, I broke one at D2D (on my second solo lap, grr…).

Having an eye of it now, and it looks like it could be a weak point of the design – and at £20 apiece, I'd rather not go through too many of them.

Mine broke through the hinge bit bending (and then a piece of it snapping). This was admittedly in a crash, but not a particularly hard one (I've put lights through worse).

So, my question is – has anyone else broken one? If not, I'll take my chances and buy another one. Otherwise I'm going to investigate canibalising a Cateye light and using the mounting system from that.

Coleman
    Free Member

Been running 2 sets of Enduro Maxx for over 2 years and have 4 brackets [on diff. bikes] – not had any problems so far although the light units do rattle a bit in the mounts. TBH I would expect the mounts to break in a crash situation as the light unit is quite large.

firestarter
    Free Member

id rather break the mount than the light 😉

Anthony
    Free Member

Coleman, wrap a few turns of plumbers PTFE tape around the dovetail fitting and your rattling woes will end.

Coleman
    Free Member

Anthony – Thanks, what a good idea!

I've been using an elastic band. A bit crude but effective. I like your suggestion better.
    Cheers

Anthony
    Free Member

It's daft really because the shape of the fitting looks like it should never rattle, which I suspect was their intention. However the tapered pin isn't made accurately enough so the taper runs out and so doesn't press the dovetail into the mount to take up any slack.

If you see what I mean!

Coleman
    Free Member

Anthony – been out to the garage and it works a treat – genius.

A bit sad really. £250 plus lights held on with ptfe tape / elastic bands.
    Still love them though.

FuzzyWuzzy

Have mounts for mine on 3 different bikes and not broken one yet, not noticed it rattling either, they are pricey though.

STATO
    Free Member

However the tapered pin isn't made accurately enough so the taper runs out and so doesn't press the dovetail into the mount to take up any slack.

Hmm, mine seems ok. Might be worth shooting an e-mail to them, it might be an undersized cleat? Of course if its worn with use then you might not get anything but as you say wear shouldnt produce a rattle as the tapered design should take up the slack.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Exposure Handlebar mounts’ is closed to new replies.