Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Exposure Diablo vs Joystick
  • roadiesean
    Free Member

Hi

Quick question on the latest exposure lights, obviously on max setting the Diablo with 900 lumens outshines the joystick on 300, but 1 hour burn time compared to 3 for the JS, on medium setting the Diablo burns the same time as the joystick, but how does the brightness compare ?

I am looking for a light for road riding 95% and off road 5%, I have a Spark which is a brill little light, but I ride 5 mornings a week at 5.30 and IT IS VERY DARK OUT THERE !! And really its not gutsy enough, I had a Hope Hid Vision which was great, the brightness very appropriate for what I’m after but the separate battery was a faff, also have a Cateye Stadium from my marathon racnig days, which is still awesome, but my God that weighs some ! So its either the Diablo or the Joystick, I like to be able to go down hills and see what is coming basically. Whats the best ? Happy to pay more for the Diablo if its felt to be the one, but all my mates have the joystick (the 220 lume version) and they all love them……

Whats the consensus view ??

Sean

Clong
    Free Member

I’d say the diablo, although the beam is quite narrow comparedto the Maxx-D or the six pack. Its certainly bright enough to use on its own, although thats a bit subjective. The beam spread is broader than the joystick though. I have both btw, albeit the previous versions.

roadiesean
    Free Member

Interesting Clong, the breadth of field is pretty important as well, although less so than the depth from bottom to top (if you get my meaning) is it (the diablo) more of a circular beam spread ?

Clong
    Free Member

Its very circular, because of how they mount you couldn’t have a differing beam pattern from side to side compared to top to bottom. The circlar body clips in to the mount and can be rotated within the clip easy enough. This would apply to the joystick, as it uses the same mounting hardware. Something like the Strada has a dipped optics, but the position of the mounting point is fixed relative to the optics.

roadiesean
    Free Member

So just like the Spark then. But good coverage ? I can’t find anything online about spread patterns for these two…..anyone point me in the right direction ?

dyls

I’ve got the new mk2 diablo and the medium setting on the diablo is similar to the high setting on the joystick. 300 lumens is enough for road riding, however with a diablo you do have that extra power if you need it, which you will if doing anything quite technical off road. The high setting on the diablo is similar to the high setting on a Hope 4, its very bright. For a few more £££ I’d get the diablo.

There is another exposure light for the road, cant remember its name but it only has a main beam and dip setting, think its 600 lumen max and 300 lumen dip. Maybe this would be better for you?

terrahawk
    Free Member

I think the road one is called the Strada.

john_l
    Free Member

I’ve got a Strada, a Diablo & a Joystick – so at least feel qualified to comment ;o)

The Diablo’s way brighter than the Joystick & much better on the road if you’re riding unlit lanes fairly quickly – beam is sort of half way between spot & flood. 1 cell piggback battery makes it even more useful.

The Strada has 2 beam’s that provide a nice flood directly in front of the wheel & then a far reaching spot that can be dipped. I actually prefer this on the road to the Diablo & the burntime is that much longer so you’re not charging every night. The 2011 one will be even better.

Save some money for the Flare with re-chargable batteries too – it’s awesome :o)

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Has anywhere actually got Diablo’s in stock?

convert

Struggling with this one myself.

Due to a good deal with Exposure, it’ll definately be some Exposure lighting I buy. I’ve got a 2009 joystick maxx2 which is great on the bonce or going slowly on road as a bar light but not for full speed country lane winter training rides. 2011 version is quite a bit brighter though. Also, I’ve come to the conclusion that despite buying a winter specific mtb I just despise riding in gloop so my lighting needs are mainly winter road and summer marathon racing – so far more road than off road. Max-D or Six pack are great off road but too much driver glare on road at full volume but missing a bit of long range throw needed for hi speed road riding when throttled back.

I might end up with a max-D/six pack and a strada at this rate (with the joysick on the helmet off road)

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Thanks, but as I’m finding out, listed on a website doesn’t = ‘in stock’.

I’ve tried calling them but the line’s been engaged for the last 20mins…will keep at it.

peteimpreza

Primera are usualy OK in my experience.

Try email. They usually respond to that quite quickly.

iainc

recently upgraded from last model Joystick to the 300 lumen 2011 one – much brighter and wide spot – perfect helmet light with a wider unit on the bars (Hope 4) and I also use on the bars on the road on dark back road riding

dyls

Some good online deals on these at the moment on WIggle & CRC. Got to say I’m really impressed with the diablo, good for a 1.5/2hr local spin (switching between high/medium) and even longer with a single cell battery add on.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

New Diablo is fantastic! Great light output and what makes it better than last years is the light colour which is whiter and better IMO.

If you can go the extra to a Diablo then do it. The mid setting is pretty much the same a Joystick on full.

Northwind

The Diablo’s still crippled with its burn time. It’s basically just a torch but better, so it’s a shame that it loses the single biggest advantage of a torch, replacable batteries.

Surfr
    Free Member

Mk 5 joystick on the helmet is all I need for pitch black mid Wales lanes and can happily decent at 30mph with this light alone. Fancy a flare for the back and maybe a redeye too. Not tried off road yet. I’m sure it would suffice but something floody on the bars would probably be a nice addition

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Exposure Diablo vs Joystick’ is closed to new replies.