Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Explain tubeless tyres to me
  • pinch_flat
    Free Member

So I’m considering switching to running tubeless as I’m fed up of pinch flats. So can people explain a few things to me. Firstly whats the difference between a UST tyre and a normal tyre? Can I run a UST tyre on a standard rim? how difficult is it to initially install a tubeless system?

mountainman123
    Free Member

well you will need to buy lots and lots of heavy duty tyre levers for when you atempt to get the tyres on, bygod they are tight, just put my new rims on and gouged all the water transfers of around the side. in the end i had to use a HUGE flat screwdriver to prize them on, god only knows what would hapen if they went pop whilst out on a ride.
    The side walls are thicker on a UST tyre beacuse there is no tube to keep them in shape when cornering.
    Installation is simple but you will need the pressurised cylinders to seal them onto the rim initially. will take around 10mins to do each rim aslong as you can get the tyres on eqsier than me.

pinch_flat
    Free Member

so a UST tyre will work on a standard rim?

Garry_Lager

Used UST for ages but not 100% on the differences between the tyres – I think a UST has a slightly different lip to grip the rim, and is overall a more substantially built tyre – they tend to be heavier. I would guess you could put a UST on a normal rim but haven’t ever tried.

Installing a UST system is painless and the easiest of the tubeless systems. Just buy the wheelset – the UST tyres go on without any hassle, add a bit of sealant and then inflate with a normal floor pump. Go ride. It really is that simple.

kerv
    Free Member

As mountainman said, they can be a pain to fit but in my experience they are worth the effort, I’ve been running them for years without a puncture. You will need some of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=20337
    to convert standard rims.

RealMan
    Free Member

well you will need to buy lots and lots of heavy duty tyre levers for when you atempt to get the tyres on, bygod they are tight, just put my new rims on and gouged all the water transfers of around the side. in the end i had to use a HUGE flat screwdriver to prize them on, god only knows what would hapen if they went pop whilst out on a ride.

I don’t think I’ve installed a UST tyre yet that has required more then a plastic tyre lever. Usually just get them on with fingers.

stumpyjon

I ran them for a while, they worked, didn’t get any punctures but then I don’t get punctures often with tubes (I ride in the Lancs Pennines so either I’m gifted on the bike or I run my tyres at too high a pressure, either way I don’t get many pinch flats). I occiasionally change tyres around depending on conditions and got sick of getting covered in slime so I went back to tubes.

Don’t rememebr significant problems getting them on or seating them though (Maxxis ignitors). I think they tend to have thicker sidewalls to stop them coming off the rims.

pinch_flat
    Free Member

ok so I can just convert a standard tyre to run tubeless on a standard rim correct? So will I require a good track pump/ compressor? to get it to work as I’ve read in places that you just can’t get them to work unless you can put a lot of air in very quickly

Garry_Lager

You can do that yes – that was the original idea of Stans and there are loads of variations for DIY tubeless. It seems like a pish unreliable set-up (just IMO), but at least you can try it out for next to nothing.

WackoAK
    Free Member

I’ve been running mavic 819’s for 3 years. Simple to the fit tyres, I’m a serial tyre changer so tended to run without sealant (you will need to top the air up a bit more often without sealant).

The only flat I ever had was from a very shonky landing on a DH track with an XC tyre (High Roller LUST) which ripped.

I’ve fitted UST tyres to normal rims (+tube) without any issues.

I think the main difference between a UST tyre and normal tyre is that the UST have thicker sidewalls. Yes they are heavier but they are lighter than the eqivalent tyre + tube combo.

neninja
    Free Member

Got a mate with Flow rims who is adamant that tubeless is too much hassle.

He was still saying tubeless was too much hassle while he pushed his bike back after his 3rd thorn puncture on a ride on Wednesday (we only had 2 tubes). Meanwhile I just pulled out a couple of thorns and span the wheel and heard the satisfying sound of the holes sealing with Stans fluid.

Stans rims and non-ust Schwalbe, Maxxis or Kenda tyres run tubeless with yellow tape and Stans fluid for the win. More or less maintenance free – just an occasional top up with fluid and valve clean.

Milkie
    Free Member

So I’m considering switching to running tubeless as I’m fed up of pinch flats

One thing with tubeless is that you cannot run your pressures too low, otherwise the tyre will burp. When it did burp on a ride, I had to put a normal tube in and carry on, that was 6 months ago, I really need to put it back to tubeless, the weight of the wheel is quite a lot now! I couldn’t go below 30 psi, I used a LUST tyre with stans kit on a normal rim.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Depends on tyres and rims. I’m running Rubber Queen 2.4snat 20psi, ghetto tubeless. Havent had any burps or deflations in over a year now. Awesome.

landy813
    Free Member

Got Rocket Rons on shimano m776 xt wheelset and the sealed straight away with stans. They are just a bit thin though as they do give a bit too much lateral movement sometimes.
    Other than that never had and trouble from tubeless set-ups but i have had to get the compressor out to initially blow them up or nip down to the garage.

WackoAK
    Free Member

I couldn’t go below 30 psi

I’m never above 30psi!!

You were not on UST though, the UST rim and tyre form a much better seal.

People really need to differentiate between UST and non UST tubeless, a lot of the “tubeless is a faff” is aimed at non UST systems.

specializedneeds

20 psi front
    30 psi rear
    Stan’s crest rim with yellow sealing tape
    A local version of Stan’s sealant (genuine stuff is $$ over here)
    Standard bead Nevegal SWS
    Full susser
    13 stones of me

Been spot-on for 12 months, no burping, no punctures

awesom-o
    Free Member

I’m running Halo freedom disc 29er rims…went ghetto tubeless using the tape method following the youtube video…was running Bontrager 29-4 ‘tubeless ready’ tyres with homebrew sealeant with no probs at all and am currently running WTB Exiwolf wire bead (non-tubeless) and have had zero issues so far. Both sets of tyres can be taken on/off the rim by hand. I run pressures between 30-45psi (I’m around 17 stone). The bontragers inflate instantly with an air compressor, the exiwolfs needed a bit of manipulation to inflate but only took a few minutes…tubeless rocks! Tyres feel more grippy and the wheels feel much lighter with quicker accelleration etc 8)

MarkN
    Free Member

I have the Bonty tube less ready system on mine. I have had Bonty ACX and now Maxis Hi Rollers both with some Stans in and no issues. in 3 years now. The ACX I found tat the walls were a bit tin and ripped easily. Stans got me home okay but that is when I went with Hi Rollers.

superfli
    Free Member

You could try the “Ghetto” method for starters (youtube it). I’ve just converted my existing tyres and rims to this to see what its like and so far so good. Just require a smaller inner tube (I used 20″) and some Stans sealant. Track pump requires a technique (again on youtube(, but is dead easy after watching clip.

First endurance race on it today and it was fine. Fitted about 3 weeks ago, 4 rides and all been fine.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Explain tubeless tyres to me’ is closed to new replies.