• This topic has 21 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Explain this phenomenon…
  • Kryton57

I seem to be able to carry much more speed on the bottom of a hill and the up the initial part of a climb than most others, on mtb’s and road bikes, even if coasting. Why?

Nothing special about my bikes, and I’m a very average 5’11 12.5 stone male. So…?

monogramman
    Free Member

You are full of hot air?

Kryton57

Apart from that?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Your’e more streamlined?

RustySpanner

Do you notice this when you’re the last in the group on the way down the dip, but seem to pass them on the initial part of the climb up the other side?

It’s because you’re subconsciously accelerating down the incline at a faster rate than the others in your group.
    Dunno why, but most people at the rear of a group seem to do it.

scaredypants

you’re more aerodynamic ?
    You’re heavier than your mates ? (this is me)
    Their brakes are all binding / bearings knacked ?
    Maybe you finish the descent faster than them and that only becomes apparent when the road turns upwards ? (my extra weight eventually means I’m faster by the time I get to the bottom of hills but, since I’m typically slower up the climb before it, I spend most of that descent catching rather than passing my mates)

brooess
    Free Member

My road bikes are like that – can cause problems group riding tbh, I have to keep enough space so I don’t pile into the back of the riders ahead slowing up…
    No idea how or why…

Kryton57

It’s not just that. On the road descents today (without pedalling) I was constantly on the brakes after catching the riders in front.

I think rusty spanner has one answer, but why would riders more proficient than I be slower on he descents / slow at the start of a climb? It’s occurred to me that in a racing scenario using this technique would at the least allow me to take a few places, then force said riders to have to work to get back / overtake me – endurance wise that could be to my advantage if I understood it.

brooess
    Free Member

On the road descents today (without pedalling) I was constantly on the brakes after catching the riders in front.

I get this on my road bikes. I’ve assumed it’s a combination of being relatively slim across the chest (less wind resistance) and very smooth hubs…

scaredypants

On the road descents today (without pedalling) I was constantly on the brakes after catching the riders in front

I imagine for every place further back you go in a line, you get a marginally bigger aerodynamic advantage (if you’re close together)

boxfish
    Free Member

Greater awesomeness quotient?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Slipstream. Always easier to follow than toead.

tomhoward

Slipstream innit. Are you faster than others when you are first down the hill?

Kryton57

Slipstream innit. Are you faster than others when you are first down the hill?

I’m new to the club / onlyb1 year in road riding – not cheeky enough to lead…. And tbh I’d probaly last 10 seconds in front.

butcher

Slipstreaming can be very noticeable at times. On a mellow descent the rider in front can be windmilling like mad while you freewheel away behind them, putting in the odd stroke occasionally.

Other times it’s not noticeable at all. Usually when you’re going blue trying to hang on to someone’s back wheel with little success.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Do you shave your legs?

Kryton57

Lol, no.

wrecker
    Free Member

Better/newer wheel bearings?
    I had a similar thing chatting to a bloke 2 stone heavier than me freewheeling downhill. He had to pedal to keep up.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Do you wax your bike?

br
    Free Member

The rider at the back has to ride the fastest, where he can to keep up – therefore you’re going faster on the fast bits to catch up.

Or at least this is what use to happen when we were riding (racing :wink:) m/c’s on the road.

maccruiskeen

windypops?

JoeG
    Free Member

Vegetable diet and lots of well timed farts?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Explain this phenomenon…’ is closed to new replies.