Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Explain the Fox Float RP23 XV BoostValve shock to me please
  • Beagleboy

Hey folks,

With the sudden demise of my much loved 2006 Orange 5 I was bereft until I managed to secure a rather good deal on a new 2010 frame, with curvy swoopy lovelyness and one of the above shocks. Now Johnny, my old Five was fitted with a Manitou 3-way swinger air shock that was a breeze to set up, even for a simpleton like myself. I just whacked in some air to a %age of my body weight (I'm a chunky 15 st) into the SPV chamber and then set the sag by pumping up the main chamber. Easy-peasy. 8)

Now I've got this Fox thingy on my new frame, I've had two rides out on it this weekend and she's fabulously plush, but am I setting it up correctly? Who knows? I can't find much info on the thing?

Is the pro pedal just a preset version of my Manitou's SPV, with three different levels of damping? If that's the case, should it be 'on' all the time then, switching between levels as the terrain dictates? That sounds kind of faffy. When I switch the thing off though, the suspension feels beautifully plush but I'm definitely getting more pedal strikes than from my old setup, even though I've got about 250psi (50 short of max), in the chamber already.

Any info/help would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Beagy

What on earth is the boost valve? Will it make me go faster like the turbo boost on Kitt?

Finally, is there a nice easy chart somewhere that says, "Craig, you're a 90kg heifer, pop this amount of psi into the chamber"

Lummox

no answers but same questions, lots of air in my rp23 and i still seem to use all the travel, never feels like i've bottomed out but the rubber band tells me otherwise, fantastically plush.

BadlyWiredDog

The boost valve thing is non-adjustable anyway on the RP23, it's technology from their DH shocks, and, as I understand it, is supposed to improve small bump responsiveness on the XC-type shocks and possibly take any harshness out of bottom-out scenarios. It 'just is' as far as I can see, but if the RP23 I've just put on my Pace is anything to go by, it seems to work.

The Pro-Pedal gubbins on the 2010 RP23 is apparently a lot less pronounced than on earlier versions, I've seen reports where journos say that position 3 on the 2010 shock is about the same level as position one on last year's. On the Pace, the effect is very subtle, but then it's not really prone to bob anyway. I guess the answer is to try it and see how it works with the 5.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Explain the Fox Float RP23 XV BoostValve shock to me please’ is closed to new replies.