Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Explain the difference between torque and power
  • swamp_boy

Power shifts cars out of the showroom

Torque shifts them along the road

At least that's the way it worked with the 350 cubic inch Chevy powered thing I used to own. Not that fast but had a torque curve like Table mountain, didn't recognise hills.

mboy
    Free Member

You're all forgetting one crucial fact when defining torque (and my old biomechanics lecturer will thank me for this):

Torque = force x perpendicular distance

I wasn't forgetting it at all, I just thought for the purpose of this discussion it over-complicated things, and was largely, if not totally, irrelevant to argue the difference between power and torque.

You are of course totally correct, to work out the torque you need to know the angle to the perpendicular to which it is being applied. Which in the case of a cyclist does matter quite a bit as we can apply a lot more power when the pedals are level than we can when they are upright! But you don't need to know this to explain the difference between power and torque 😉

dr_adams
    Free Member

The Best definition i ever heard was by Robinson… really good Motorcycle dude.. even outbroke abs… anyway

Imagine you standing on the edge of a cliff with a rope in ur hands, on the end of the rope is a boulder..
    Torque is what limits how big the boulder can be
    Power what limits how fast you can pull it up.

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Explain the difference between torque and power’ is closed to new replies.