Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • experiences of change from iphone to android? iphone 6 vs sony xperia
  • dti

Thinking of sony xperia and not the iphone 6, I was hoping that the new iphone would have a better battery life and was waterproof.
    1. It’s waterproof
    2. Much better battery life
    3. Better camera
    4. Cheaper
    I don’t have much paid content on the iphone apart from viewranger maps which can be transferred .any reason why not?

monkeychild
    Free Member

I did it 4s to z1 compact. Best move ever!
    Walkman is way better than iTunes and android is jolly good. I want the Sony tablet as my iPad frustrates me now.

br
    Free Member

What’s wrong with your current phone?

northshoreniall

Z3 is out this week, I’m looking at the compact version, very nice looking phone.
    Seems to be getting good reviews already so may try pick one up today.

dti

b r
    My daughter needs a phone and my usage means an expensive contract (and free upgrade) – the battery life is dire for said usage. (iphone 5)

Jamie
    Free Member

If I wasn’t tied into Apple, I would have probably taken a punt on a Z3 compact. Look nice little phones.

…but don’t assume the grass is always greener. The Z1 Compact, like all other phones, had issues.

Tinners

I’m going to sound like an Apple hater (I’m not) having also commented on the iOS thread, but noticed this thread above it and thought I’d add my 2p seeing as one of our family has one of the new Sony Zs. My comparison is with an iP5.
    I’m really impressed with the Z for all the reasons you’ve stated plus the screen quality (and photos in particular) look way better. It also consistently picks up WiFi (BT openzone) and mobile signal when we’re out and about when the iPhones don’t. When we’re out in the sticks with no reception all the other brand phones seem to be able to Blue tooth photos to each other except me on an iP5. However, the Sony has “spontaneously” (and I mean spontaneously) cracked its screen whilst in a loose (non jeans) pocket. It was in a case at the time and had a screen protector. It’s currently away being fixed under insurance, but note that insurance cover won’t guarantee repair waterproofness. Would put this down to fate (like bendy iP6s) but google search suggests there may be issues with Sony Zs cracking spontaneously. Apart from that though, I’m really impressed with it. It also plays all my iTunes songs which have been downloaded to a PC then uploaded to Google via an equivalent version of iCloud (I’m not sure how that works but the user seemed to have no problem setting it up). I have to say, screen crack apart, I’d be very tempted to get the Sony. Seems a genuinely better phone than iPhone and I’m gradually starting to think that Apple are not worth the extra mark up as other brands seem to have caught up, and possibly passed them now on features and quality. Right….definitely time to get out on bike now.

johnnystorm

I went iPhone 4S to Samsung S4 Active. Not likely to return anytime soon.

chojin
    Free Member

Z3 compact out within the next day or so, ticks all the boxes for me.
    Waterproof, dustproof, not a “budget” processor, not a comedy size, good screen, good camera, battery life that will actually last 2 days with heavy use.

wrightyson
    Free Member

This is worth reading. Direct comparison between the z1 compact and z3 compact
    Z1/Z3 comparison
    The z1 can be had for 18/month on some deals and as little as 15/month for a refurb.
    There isn’t a huge difference in spec…

Atomizer

Well i’ve just (Friday) gone from an iPhone 4 to z3 compact and so far all is good. I’ve got apple everything at home so have been a fanboi but z3 compact was so much cheaper, right size, fast, waterproof etc.
    Once I loaded up all the normal apps and configured passwords etc there’s very little obvious difference in functionality.
    Still getting used to the different ways to interact with android but not regretting it yet.
    Had to buy one app again – Pocket Informant – which I use all the time.

Obviously z3 is a huge step up from the 4 so everything is faster etc. but i couldn’t justify the cost of the 6.

Got my phone from Clove.co.uk and upgraded to 4g with my current provider (Vodafone) after threatening to leave for ee – got a better deal than I was on before.

dti

Thanks all, been using iphones since iphone 3, now not really worth the premium I think.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I used Andriod based phones for years, just accepted they were a bit quirky, they fell over a lot and I guess that’s why they make them so the battery comes out, for when they used to freeze all the time 🙂

I got a 4S a couple of years ago and it was a bit of a revelation, in that is just worked, everything was easy to use, and find, pictures were better etc. I’m still using that phone now, albeit with a new battery I put in it.

In the last 6 months at work we changed from Apple to Samsung phones, I’ve got a Galaxy s5, and to be honest, it’s crap.

It feels like a Fisher Price plastic phone. I could probably snap it in half with not much effort. They feel amazingly cheap compared to Apple products. The Andriod system still falls over with impressive regularity, necessitating a battery removal restart, and it does a great job of forgetting all my work email settings, as it does with a lot of my colleagues.

I was about as far from an Apple fanboy as I could be before, and whilst I don’t love their stuff (it’s just a phone) it does just work, and feels like it will last. I wouldn’t buy an Andriod based phone on my past, and recent experiences. Maybe Sony’s are better screwed together though?

Nice to have the choice though.

scotroutes

It’s been years since I had an Android phone with a removable battery. I can’t recall the last time I had a crash of any sort either. I don’t think there’s anything in it these days between Apple and Android.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s anything in it these days between Apple and Android.

nope it’s a level playing field

DavidB
    Free Member

I went from 4s to Z1 Compact. The Z1 is an ace phone with battery life and external SD card being the massive winners for me. Android is still not as intuitive as iOS in my opinion but I’ve crossed most of the bridges now. The z1 is really well made and the only PITA is that the bluetooth dos not seem to want to remember the connection to my car stereo.

prawny

I’m just about to go the other way, the iphone 6 is the first iPhone that’s tempted me away. Nearly went for a z3 compact but the Mrs has had two sony android phones and neither lasted 18 months before crapping out, that put me off.

I’ll miss the customisation, but I won’t miss the frequent crashes and patchy app performance. Might try jail breaking it when iOS 8 is cracked, my galaxy s3 has been loads better since it was rooted, i would have got rid months ago if I was stuck with touch wiz.

Jamie
    Free Member

nope it’s a level playing field

You’re killing me, Mike.

You’re, literally, killing me.

It’s been years since I had an Android phone with a removable battery. I can’t recall the last time I had a crash of any sort either. I don’t think there’s anything in it these days between Apple and Android.

Careful, druidh. You might get a reputation for spouting logical bollocks like that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah, I think it was my original HTC Desire that I last took the battery out of. That was a long time ago

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘experiences of change from iphone to android? iphone 6 vs sony xperia’ is closed to new replies.