Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Expensive Helmets vs Cheap(er) VFM?
  • v666ern
    Free Member

Looking at a new full face and tempted by a Spesh Dissident (carbon thing) at £160 or 661 at ~£60. Im an average rider and dont crash much with wheels on the ground mainly but have a alps trip in the summer and wondering if its worth shelling out?

If it was a motorbike i would without thinking but im not a major air guy 😕

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-dissident-dh-helmet-EV163400?esvt=1526-GOUKE294884&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-36794-1&esvcrea=61233494576&esvplace=&esvd=c&esvo=EV163400-L-RED&esvaid=50080&gclid=CjwKEAjwuPi3BRClk8TyyMLloxgSJAAC0Xsjw3yOuW58dMVrHgraszso4A6QPOHDwd-VxrjkMj3YsRoC1vXw_wcB

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The main thing with lids is fit, I’ve got a great 661 full face that was a great price, the cheaper one I got first was awful and wouldn’t work with goggles. Try them on and decide

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I only buy helmets after Ive tried them on, not all helmets fit my head.

Full face isn’t required if you keep your wheels on the ground, they are very hot

Wally

And then buy online….

ads678

yep as above fit is key but if you can afford it then a bit extra cash could get you a lighter and maybe stronger helmet.

I know people with the 661 and they are all happy with it though.

Full face isn’t required if you keep your wheels on the ground

Tell that to the trees i’ve crashed into!!

legend
    Free Member

Pawsy_Bear – Member

Full face isn’t required if you keep your wheels on the ground

This, as it’s absolutely impossible to land on your face if you’re not taking sick air

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Full face isn’t required if you keep your wheels on the ground…

What an odd thing to say.

v666ern
    Free Member

Sorry missed the WILL be trying on which ever one i choose

I know the 661 fits as thats my current make which i scuffed up at BPW trying to jump on a blue 😳

Have got a jumps coaching in the summer but at 36 those days are more behind me and steep tech isnt the norm anymore unfortunately

taxi25
    Free Member

I doubt a cheaper helmet is less “safe” than a dearer one. The higher price might buy less weight, better finish, more comfort and features ect.

v666ern
    Free Member

I doubt a cheaper helmet is less “safe” than a dearer one. The higher price might buy less weight, better finish, more comfort and features ect.

thats what im trying to weigh up, assuming they both fit to the average rider would you drop an extra £100 on a nice lid?

5thElefant
    Free Member

This, as it’s absolutely impossible to land on your face if you’re not taking sick air

I’ve managed it. 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depends if the nice was what I liked.

stevied
    Free Member

A few ‘expensive but reduced’ helmets here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clearance/helmets/full-face-helmets

v666ern
    Free Member

damage 🙄

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Battle scars, that’s a keeper!

jamesfts
    Free Member

The Dissident is great VFM, it’s a shame they don’t do the black pinstripe design any more.

I’ve always been a big fan of the carbon Troy Lee D2 but bought the carbon Dissident over the D3 when they came out. They’re a very similar shape and fit but the D3 is heavier and nearly twice the price.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Well I’ve got s 60 quid rrp Bell Stoker (bought for £17 from a PSA) and a £100 rrp Bell Super (bought for 60 quid IIRC).

I assume they will give similar protection. The Super is much better vented (including brow vents which is probably a more intricate moulding process than the larger vents), has more features and an overall better finish. The peak on the Stoker is flimsy and cheap and looks like it came off some unbranded £9.99 toddler’s helmet. To be fair in lime green the whole helmet has a smack of the under 5’s about it 😉

Whether either helmet is worth the rrp is a different discussion, but putting them side by side and wearing them back to back I’d be perfectly happy to pay twice as much for the Super.

I have an old 661 (Comp?) full face which I think retailed at 60 but I paid 40 or so for-bought it for trips to the alps when I used to go regularly. It did/does the job but was definitely a budget item and after a week of wearing it I wished I’d spent a bit more.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The higher price might buy less weight, better finish, more comfort and features ect.

Less weight is more safety. Think about what the effect is of having a weight attached to the end of your neck in a crash.

Also, those helmets might have passed the same safety standards but that does not indicate that they are of equal quality.

6D helmets, Kali, POC, Smith and Bell all have designs that are aimed at going beyond the basic standards by lowering the chances of sustaining a concussion. Which companies design is the best is anyones guess though.

If I was going to be buying a full face right now, it would be between a Kali and a 6D. If I was after a half lid, it would be between a Smith and a 6D.

pigeonthing
    Free Member

…its all about the fit for me, nowt worse than having a full face list that not quite right…esp after a full day or more in it..unfortunately I’ve got a massive heed so choice on the budget end is ltd…i’m not the most gnar rider, (more nana style) but I’ve stacked it off something that seemed like nowt (and smashed my lid ) and was glad I had it on….got a bell transfer at mo…happy with it

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Expensive Helmets vs Cheap(er) VFM?’ is closed to new replies.