Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • expensive gearcables worth the extra £s?
  • swompy
    Free Member

Do they make a difference or last longer, shift better ? findings and recomendations appreciated.

james
    Free Member

I believe many people find so, but spending £40-50+ on gear cable ‘sets’ has always put me off, from the limited looking I’ve done I can’t remember (but there must be?) continuous run outer cable sets. My current main bike, the last one and my XC HT all require continous run outer gear cable, having no stops

I use basic shimano inner, basic shiman outer and (4mm) middleburn cable oilers, which once ‘plumbed’ into the outer cable allow you to spray WD40*/etc inside and force some crap out the mech end (and some spray in the shifter?**)
    Also the O-ring that covers the hole sits proud so that you can position the cable oiler along the outer cable length so that the O-ring acts as a bump stop/frame protector where the cable would otherwise touch/run the frame/fork

*For the past few years the few I’ve seen, WD40 has come with a fatter red pipe as supplied that won’t fit. I’ve been using something called ‘maintenence spray’ (claims to do similar) by someone else (cant remember who)
    **Not sure how this affects the life of the shifter though?

nicko74

I have Gore RideOn cables, with the full-length inner sleeve. They fit ‘normal’ cable runs on a bike, but have a liner around the actual cable to protect it and stop grit getting into the cable run. And, since fitting it 3 years ago (and a minor shifter fail aside), they have been perfect – not had to tweak them or fiddle with them at all.

Prior to that I’d had standard cable setups, as fitted to most new bikes, and it generally required replacing every couple of years or so.

So IME, yes they’re worth it.

Northwind

I use XTR… Or rather, I got a couple of kits years ago and now I just endlessly reuse the sealing ends, with cheap rolls of SP outer and £1 inners from CRC. Works a charm, and not expensive.

argoose
    Free Member

Buy any decent set and use with “transfil k.ble waterproof kit” £3 from wiggle. Works a treat 🙂

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Basic shimano outers and inners. Run full length outers if you can. No reason to spend anymore on them, if you can’t set up cheap cables correctly lining w m gore’s pockets ain’t gonna help.

teddy
    Free Member

i was in boneshakers in harrogate and asked for their cheapest full length of outer and two full length inners.
    the guy dissapeared to the workshop and left me stood there for 10 minutes until i had had enough and walked out.

cheapest on line deals for gear cables for me.

Wally

Halfords do a fantastic XTR type teflon coated inner and sleaved outer F+R for £8. Use you XTR ferrules again and again.

doodlebug
    Free Member

One of my best bike purchases for many a year ! Yes i did pay £40 odd pound, but well worth every penny …..
    http://www.rideoncables.com/en_us/products/xlslfsystem.html

I use Nokon on a Rohloff, so two full length cables.
    They still seize eventually, so I’m not sure I wouldn’t be better off buying cheaper ones and replacing them more often.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I don’t buy into these expensive cable sets. I use Transfil stainless steel cable wire and there cbale outer with no waterproofing kits. My veiw change them when they need it which will be every year or so (maybe sooner dependging on how often the bike is used.

Given I charge £1.50 for a transfil shimano gear cable, £1.60 for a road or MTB brake cables, £1.20/metre for brake outer and £1.30/metre for gear outer it does not coat alot to replace all your cables.

If riding in thick slop on a regular basis them maybe the these more expensive cable are worth while set but I would stick to the cheaper transfil ones.

z1ppy

I tried Nokon’s, spent loads on them a few years ago, absolute waste of time IME

Basic shimano outers and inners. Run full length outers if you can.

This for me, though I use SP41 outer which is XTR, buy it in bulk from Parker Int.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

SP41 outer in bulk.

PTFE/teflon inners from wherevers cheep.

Assorted cable ends accumulated over the years.

Middleburn copy cable oilers installed ~6″ from the mechs.

Speshpaul

XTR Hybreds here, full outers on the bouncy bike, heat shrink and XTR ends on the cotic, works a charm:-)

neninja
    Free Member

4 meters of SP41 outer plus 2 Shimano PTFE coated XTR inner cables from Cyclebasket for £25.00 delivered

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘expensive gearcables worth the extra £s?’ is closed to new replies.