Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Expensive fridge now broken? Please help.
  • rob1984p
    Free Member

In moments of crisis Singletrack comes to the rescue so here goes;
    I’ve recently moved into a house as a lodger as i’ve returned to uni, the house and landlady are nice but it’s been far from a week of plain sailing ending in trashing (?) a pricey fridge last night (it’s name reminds me of nobcheese or red dwarf).

Basically the freezer box in the top of the smeg fridge was iced up and unusable and she thought defrosting it properly would take too long, I suggested scraping/chipping it which was not dismissed as far as I can remember. The inner casing now has a crack / split.

Basically i’m on eggshells over this at the moment and the fridge has been off ever since with food going to the neighbours etc. If it happened to my fridge I think i’d araldite the crack up and carry on as to my limited knowledge the refridgerant and cooling is within the small bore pipes and they’ve not been damaged.

The other reason I don’t think there is anything too serious to worry about is that the freezer section door was already broken and where the top hinge once was there is now a hole in the same plastic part just in a different area.

Basically the options as I see them are to;
    -epoxy it up and not worry
    -claim on insurance (£150 excess and landlady made a recent claim apparently)
    -not worry about it
    -some sort of hideous insurance fraud (doesn’t sit right for me)

I have the opinion of a former systems engineer (in air con) in the motor vehicle sector, a doctor of wind, a baker, myself and we all think the same thing just to run it but the fact of the matter is that I haven’t had a chance to speak to a pro today and can’t risk such an expensive item.

If anyone has any relevant experience either work or doing the same thing i’d be interested to hear what they think.

GW
    Free Member

if the ice box was unusable when you moved in, just let it get all iced up again and don’t use it.

MartynS

Basically the freezer box in the top of the smeg fridge was iced up and unusable and she thought defrosting it properly would take too long, I suggested scraping/chipping it which was not dismissed as far as I can remember. The inner casing now has a crack / split.

Is she the landlady??? If she couldn’t be arsed to wait for it to defrost properly and was happy for someone to attack the freezer with a sharp thingy….

Tom83

If it’s now defrosted, tell her you didn’t attack it as planned, and just defrosted it, and discovered the crack when the ice had melted.

geoffj

I had a great landlady once 8) Not much of a lady mind :mrgreen:

andyl
    Free Member

Araldite will not work. Maybe try silicone as it will flex with the thermal expansion/contraction.

Get a pic up

project
    Free Member

Get a roll of fridge repair helicopter tape and stick it over the ofending crack.

rob1984p
    Free Member

A white goods repair guy called me up after I posted and basically said it’s not a big deal and the only reason bellendcheesefridgecompany have said it will never work properly again is because they want her to buy another one.

I got him to repeat it all minus the “she just wants you to buy her a new fridge, and whats a 6 year old fridge worth anyway?” to her she wasn’t convinced. We argued, she cried and then she settled on saying ok we’ll get him to fix it.

I’ll end up paying but it’s up north so it’s not gonna be hideous for him to come and use “filler” (presumably p38 car stuff) and i’ll just have to put it down to experience at the end of the day I can’t be assed to move as it was by far the nicest house I looked at, is a sensible rent each month, she’s cool most of the time and at the start of a pgce I can’t be assed with looking to move.

JohnnyPanic

You made your landlady cry 😯

FuzzyWuzzy

Doesn’t seem like it’s an issue worth fixing really, if you haven’t damaged the pipes then it’s just cosmetic isn’t it? I ‘manually defrosted’ my previous fridge and got a bit over-zealous and punctured the pipes – the hissing was a dead give-away but yours sounds fine…

allthepies
    Free Member

She cried about a fridge ? 😆

hels
    Free Member

Bloody tenants. My last two moved out and stole, can you believe:

1. one of the bolts that holds the toilet seat on – unusable until repaired

2. the handle that opens the washing machine – of course dopey new (and possibly a bit minging as she didn’t notice for a month) tenant now has a load of washing stuck in it

3. more stuff no doubt yet to be discovered.

I think this is their way of getting at the agency for making them pay up all their notice event though they left a week early. If they had just asked nicely, I would have let them off…

(sorry for thread highjack)

allthepies
    Free Member

Oh, and for defrosting a hairdryer helps massively.

Keef
    Free Member

best way to defrost a freezer is take it outside,hose pipe set to ‘blast’
    hose it all down inside (not the outside,or you may fry when you plug it back in)dry it all thoroughly with towels,takes 5 mins.
    job dun.

sc-xc

I’d ask the Doctor of Wind to take a look at her bumhole.

z1ppy

allthepies – Member
    Oh, and for defrosting a hairdryer helps massively.

+1

sharp instruments and fridges don’t mix… again I know from experience. 😳

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Expensive fridge now broken? Please help.’ is closed to new replies.