Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Exotic pet owners: Exo Terra Glass Terrariums
  • dan1980
    Free Member

I’ve noticed that some people here have exotic pets, so I’m hoping someone will have a lizard or some such and keep him/her in an Exo Terra Glass Terrarium, as I have a couple of questions, can’t get to see one in the flesh, and Hagen aren’t being helpful!

I’m looking at getting a pair of spiny mice, and am thinking that one of these terrariums might be a good idea to house them. I need to check that it’d be chew proof first though. So does anyone know if the black surrounds to the doors are plastic or metal, and, if the fake rock background is removed, is there any plastic that a pair of determined rodents could nibble through?

roper
    Free Member

There is quite a lot of plastic on them, arround the doors and sides there are plastic air vents. Also there is a thin(ish) wire mesh at the top which is plastic and the wire might get chewed through.
    The terrariums are designed to hold creatures at quite a high humidity and are water tight, up to the doors. That’s why a large part of them are plastic. The back drop can come out and it is glass behind.

If there is something specific you want to see I can send you photos, as long as it doesn’t disturb the inhabitants too much.

Also I can put you in touch with someone who can build enclosures, made to measure, which look very nice. They are perspex, they could make small vent holes too small for teeth but you would need to check with them about scratching from claws.

dan1980
    Free Member

Cheers for that.

It doesn’t sound like it’s really suitable. 😥

I think I’m going to have to go with a fish tank type arrangement

roper
    Free Member

I forgot to add, you could post the question here,

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/

There is a good chance someone there will have spiny mice.

dan1980
    Free Member

Thanks.

I was just wanting to avoid bars and liked the idea of having a door I could open to play with the little buggers. I’m not a massive fan of the fish tank type enclosures that seem popular. I guess I’m being to demanding!

Hadge
    Free Member

Join that forum site and they will point you in the right direction. The best advice I can give is read read read and read some more as the more you know the less mistakes you make and it also means your livestock will get the best care too which is the most important thing of all.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Exotic pet owners: Exo Terra Glass Terrariums’ is closed to new replies.