Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Exmoor routes
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Anyone got some good ones?

After anything really, from long epic xc rides, to techy dh runs.

Cheers in advance.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Get an OS map, park in Horner. Use the steep roads to get you up to either: Lay’s Hill, Webber’s post or even Dunkery Beacon, then plummet down just about any trail you see in the map back to Horner/Porlock. They vary from techy, to steep or fast and swoopy.

Repeat until dusk.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Would second the above recommendation. Some fab downhills into Porlock. Also some excellent semi-coastal trails around North Hill / Selworthy Beacon on the opposite side of the valley- epic views too.

Not ridden the bridleway down from Selworthy Beacon down to Lynch Combe yet (N of Bossington), but walked it a few months back and I reckon it would be a hoot on a bike.

Some great, proper old school, all day XC rides to be had by following the network of bridleways around the Exe Valley NW of Dulverton – river crossings, hike a bike and some great singletrack – Riding your bike across Tarr Steps is an unmissable experience, especially with the river in full flood! You can ride onto Withypool along the river then up over the top of Winsford Hill to the Punchbowl. Quite a few trails radiating out from Winsford itself too.

Just get an OS map and enjoy… great area for the adventurous, and you’ll see very few folk.

dropoff

Would like to see someone try to ride across the Barle at Tarr steps when its in flood 🙂

SprocketJockey
    Free Member
    SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Would like to see someone try to ride across the Barle at Tarr steps when its in flood

I’ve done it with the water level about 6 inches below the tops of the stones – bit hairy but doable. The gaps are a bit tricky mind. Got nice round of applause from a group of ramblers coming out of the pub!

That said, you need a clear run at it – I dabbed and almost fell in at my last attempt to do it as someone thought it was a good idea to start walking across from the opposite bank when I was halfway across.

There’s an even trickier set of steps a bit further upriver from Tarr Farm where the bridleway splits which is quite entertaining in the wet.

dropoff

Ah ! I thought you meant through the ford, not across the path 🙂

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Have done that too, but only in summer when it was a few inches deep – great fun!

cheez0
    Free Member

I had a ride up over and around the punchbowl last weekend.
    Great fun, the moors were swampy as hell with the rain we had but visibility was 40m coz of the fog last weekend.
    Navigating with heading and distance some of the time but wouldn’t have missed it for anything.
    Great muddy slidabouts on the way down to withycombe farm from the punchbowl, good job i had my swampthing fr and wetscream rear, didnt put me foot down once!

had tried to get across the exe at withypool (south hill) but the crossing was under 2ft of fast flowing river, so had a rethink and went to winsford headed south towards yellowcombe and loop up round to the punchbowl. would be good to ride the other way too!

aboutbikes
    Free Member

Try the one on our webbie….rode it last year…..its a toughie!!

http://www.about-bikes.com/rides.asp

Ade

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Whoah! That’s a whole Bank Holiday weekend’s worth for me!

timothecimmerian

SprocketJockey

Not ridden the bridleway down from Selworthy Beacon down to Lynch Combe yet (N of Bossington), but walked it a few months back and I reckon it would be a hoot on a bike.

We did this descent last year and it was great. Steep, loose, rocky and the closest I’ve come to boiling my brakes on my TranceX (Stroker Trails)

Starrman28
    Free Member

I’d recommend about-bikes route, did something similar in the summer, plenty climbing. We did a different route through the Headon Plantation which was a brute, the decent the other side is cracking though. I realyy don’t think you’ll find a bad ride on Exmoor. 🙂

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I realyy don’t think you’ll find a bad ride on Exmoor.

I’d second that. All things being well we’re moving down next year, so is going to be my local patch…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Exmoor routes’ is closed to new replies.