Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Exmoor – any local knowledge?
  • nisbend
    Free Member

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen.

Anyone got any top tips for riding in the area near Exford? We’re staying in the YHA there next weekend; never been before, looks to be loads of access from looking at the OS maps but are there any trails we should definitely check out?

Thanks!

foxyrider
    Free Member

If you don’t get an answer try again tonight?

16stonepig
    Free Member

So, so much excellent riding. Just pick any bridleway and follow it – you can make a huge route out of it.

Highlights are the descents to the east and north-east off Dunkery Beacon, Granny’s Ride, The descent down Hawkcombe, through Worthy Wood down to Porlock Weir.

You’d better like roots and rocks 😀

Bridleway next to the “W”

Bridleway from the road down to Shillet Wood

North and then immediately East off Dunkery Beacon (pump your tyres up)

And generally just any of the other bridelways you fancy. There are also loads of permissive paths, not marked as ROWs on tha map.

nisbend
    Free Member

Thanks, Pig and Fox.

Yes, I certainly do like roots and rocks. I’ll check those links right now…

cheers

Flapjack
    Free Member

Supposed to be a great circular route starting at Simonsbath which is very near to Exford, and takes in Withypool hill and down into Withypool village. I’ve never ridden it but have walked the area many times. Probably worth investigating if you want something close to Exford.

cheez0
    Free Member

Try the samaritans way north out of exford, then turn sharp right at the top and come back over prescott down, down stone lane..bet you get off and walk!

Then you could track across from there to rocks bungalow/higher coombe drop down to the river and travel along to winsford, more XC than downhill.

Then back to exford by going south out of winsford to townsend,up over yellowcombe lane, up through the woods etc to caractacus stone*, over around the punchbowl and downhill to the farm at withycombe. Probly best to have a compass/map.
    Climb back up onto the road,
    EITHER turn right for 500m and head up north just past the sheep dip to pick up tracks down over Bye common, then track back to exford the way you came along the river.

OR turn left and head along the road til you get to room hill and pick the track that heads northish back to exford via road hill
    (avoid the ford at 869362, cos its not really passable and the tracks down from room hill/little ash is a bstard of a climb back up.

*caractacus stone to yellowcombe lane is good going the other way too, esp if you can do the steep dropoff/ditch jump as you come down into the woods at 905334!

snowslave

Been there on holiday with the family a few times where I get ride passouts, and that stuff mentioned by 16stonepig is fantastic. Loads of brilliant stuff around Minehead, Porlock, Dunkery etc etc. Take your pick, it’s hard to find a bad one. Lot of flies there though, and they all wait for you on climbs to get inside your mouth. 🙂

16stonepig
    Free Member

I’m going on a snowboarding trip to the Alps tomorrow, where it’s just been dumping down, and yet reading this thread I’m more excited about my Exmoor trip in September…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Exmoor – any local knowledge?’ is closed to new replies.