Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Exit through the gift shop
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

Just watched it, it's great, go buy it!

Kevevs
    Free Member

erm…..

bruneep

just back from Florida are we?

Kevevs
    Free Member

I could go on and on about this, but I can't be bothered.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Feed the corporate machine!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Is it some Wanksy bollocks?

CountZero

Yes it's some Banksy bollocks. It's also very good at sending up the whole media obsession with him and other artists like him. I happen to really like Banksy and the political points he makes, but then I live closer to Bristol than London, and also like Tricky, Portishead, and Massive Attack, who are all connected. I was lucky to catch it in a Bristol multiscreen when it was on for a week.

Kevevs
    Free Member

bristol fighter Vs banksy artwork. hmm…..

I'm not getting into this one, cos it'll go on forever.

yunki
    Free Member

I love the multiple inverted snobbery surrounding Mr Banks.. we were fans of his as far back as the late '80s and a few of the 'bigger boys' in our gang used to exchange letters with him around that time.. maybe they even still do..

I don't know.. I lost contact with those fellas a while back.. I gave up painting on walls and trains at quite a young age cos I realised it probably wasn't ever gonna make my mum proud…
    I love that Banksy is getting the last laugh on that particular point.. and I think many many others are happy about it too..

cappo.. (to bastardise a popular stw phrase)

antigee

but then I live closer to Bristol than London, and also like Tricky, Portishead, and Massive Attack, who are all connected. I was lucky to catch it in a Bristol multiscreen

I love the multiple inverted snobbery surrounding Mr Banks

a point well made

yunki
    Free Member

the multiple inversions of the snobbery.. that reads better no..?

Kevevs
    Free Member

what he does is no biggie is it? some of it is quite clever. some of it is just dumb old ideas. Gotta respect the guy for getting up all over the city. emporers new clothes. Money for old rope imho. Don't get me started!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There are so many inversions of snobbery surrounding Banksy, that I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to think he's cool or not 🙂

Ah no seriously though, you can't expect someone like Elfin to appreciate his genius, especially with him not coming from Landin an' all that.

antigee

the multiple inversions of the snobbery.. that reads better no..?

yes but being grammatically correct may not mean that cultural arse licking is really the done thing

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What 'inverted snobbery'? He's someone who relied heavily on plagiarising others' work, Blek Le Rat in particular, to the point where people think Banksy pioneered the stencil technique, banged on about sticking it to the man or some other such **** Hoxtonite trendy bollocks, yet was all about making loads of money all along! Kevev's has actually met the bloke, and can tell you a thing or two about him…

I like some of Banksy's work. But no more than that of other artists, and there are loads more anonymous street artists out there with more talent. Banksy was just clever at attracting the right kind of media attention and ultimately, money.

Banksy, to me, is going the same way as Emin, Whiteread, Hirst et al. Eventually the media will be bored with them, and move onto something else. And they won't leave any particular lasting legacy of art, in my opinion. And I know about art, me. More than you do. Tell em, Kev.

Kevevs
    Free Member

"multiple inversions of snobbery"

so what does that mean??

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Chuff knows. Sounds like some arty farty bollocks if you ask me Kev. 😉

Oh look! The Emperor has no clothes on!

Kevevs
    Free Member

look, the bloke does some interesting stuff, doesn't take much talent, doesn't take much thought, some sideways thought, certainly a bit of creativity. I think he is totally pissed off by being a multi-media millionaire darling!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think he is totally pissed off by being a media darling!

Is he bollocks. That's what he always wanted. The rest is just an act.

I'm about to enjoy a mushroom, aubergine and bacon cheesy pasta bake, which is better than anything what Banksy has ever come up with…

Kevevs
    Free Member

salty crisps ftw. I told you I wouldn't start.

yunki
    Free Member

I was just saying.. that there's people out there that have been sticking it to the man for all their lives..

and to me it appears that Banks just took it to it's conclusion.. which makes me happy..

you can't dredge up any blek le rat plaguerism cock and balls either cos graf has always been one of the four elements of hip hop which has been about sampling and recycling since it's inception..

the inversions of snobbery comment was understood perfectly by deadly darcy.. and then proved by elfinsafety..

i'm off to bed cos i'm swimming with sharks in this conversation and the intellectual poison ivy is bringing me out in a rash..

Kevevs
    Free Member

see.. I was joking. crisps are where it's at.

yunki
    Free Member

Kevevs
    Free Member

bad drawing.

yunki
    Free Member

bad drawing.

I understand that a lot of it was in the '70s….. superbad

Kevevs
    Free Member

good attitude. like I say. I could go on about this forever.

yunki
    Free Member

I could go on about this

I'd like to for a bit.. only.. I have to be dadface at the crack of dawn and I would probably become enthused on the street art subject before I got bored resulting in a late night and a rubbish day tomorrow..

EDIT: emergency beer O'clock

Kevevs
    Free Member

"would probably become enthused on the street art subject"

wow" for for it!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

the inversions of snobbery comment was understood perfectly by deadly darcy.. and then proved by elfinsafety..

How? I'm just saying it how it is. I'm just not someone suckered in by the whole Banksy thing. I fail to see what 'snobbery' there is in that. 'Sticking it to the man'? Ha! Don't make me laugh. Banksy's a media product as much as Girls Aloud or SuBo. And of equal significance, ultimately.

If the world of art is like a restaurant, and the likes of Michaelangelo or Picasso are the main courses, Banksy is like a Pot Noodle from the 24 hour petrol garage down the road.

bad drawing.

Kevevs is right. He's a much better drawrer than that. He's got the right to criticise.

yunki
    Free Member

elfinsafety.. I think you have a skewed version of what 'stickin it to the man' is really about in the 21st century..

As far as I know.. It's perfectly acceptable to 'stick it to the man' by making shedloads of money by doing something fun and childish and unacceptable to 'the man' and that you were likely to be doing anyway..

If your idea of stickin it to the man is living in abject poverty cos that'll teach 'em… which seems to be your argument.. then I suggest you are arguing from an unrounded standpoint..

yunki
    Free Member

bahh… sorry.. I just read through what you are saying a bit more deeply..
    I think I'm just looking for an argument.. sorry.. I like him however.. I find his comment and the vehicle for it very appealing.. it's quite neat..

I guess i'm a sucker in your view..?

Kevevs
    Free Member

The bloke has skils and ideas and talent. it seeems it doesn't take much.

yunki
    Free Member

is it more about balls and attitude then..? Is that why banks flies and others wallow..?

Elfinsaftey.. did you think banksy to be rubbish from the start..?

Banksy is like a Pot Noodle from the 24 hour petrol garage down the road.

you're wrong… he's like THE pot noodle

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What's the money got to do with it? Footballers get paid £100,000 a week. Pop tarts wear new frocks every 3 minutes. Why do you assume I have an issue with someone making money? Good on Banksy for being successful on that score. Stuff like what he did in Palestine on the walls the Israelis erected is great; draws attention to the situation, makes folk think. But then, so do journalists and charity workers. It's just that they do it for mainly humanitarian reasons, whereas with Banksy it seems more about raising his profile (and the value of his 'art').

So yeah, there's a certain amount of hypocrisy in what he does. But the actual art itself, including the concept, is neither new nor particularly outstanding on it's own. Been done before and better, Banksy is just skilled at marketing it. Exploiting the situation, as it were. And he criticises Tescos…

I don't think he's rubbish. I just think there's better out there, and I see through him.

'Hey let's stick it to the man, yeah, right on…'

Pfft. Give over yer daft sod.

Kevevs
    Free Member

crisps…

TheFlyingOx

but then I live closer to Bristol than London, and also like Tricky, Portishead, and Massive Attack, who are all connected. I was lucky to catch it in a Bristol multiscreen

a point well made

LOL my ass off.

TheFlyingOx

Oh, and Elfin:
    I think that the fact that Banksy spraypaints walls in the West Bank probably does a lot to raise the profile of whatever side you choose to take in that particular conflict. Nobody will be buying his 'Girl With Balloons' anytime soon, so I think the financial arguement is almost invalid (I concede that it will raise his profile)

Kevevs
    Free Member

nice, bollocks….

yunki
    Free Member

I will give over.. I loved him for finally making it but now it's definitely time for something to come through the doors that he opened..

CaptJon
    Free Member

Good film.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Exit through the gift shop’ is closed to new replies.