Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Exercising with cold / chest infection?
  • scud
    Free Member

I’m at the back end of a horrible cold and now left with sore throat and chest infection with my lungs working at about half their normal capacity it feels. Our whole office seems to have the same dry cough and sore throat so I can’t escape it.

I find that breathing dry or cold area makes my chest really tight, but feel on exercise bike at gym or on the turbo trainder where it seems the warm humid air doesn’t have the same effect. So i’ve been keeping to an hour of gentler riding to keep legs working and try and counter act the xmas lunches at work.

Am I doing my lungs any further damage or delaying recovery? Am I better to stop and recover fully before returning to exercise or best just to continue as I am and MTFU? (I do have steroid inhaler which was prescribed last week by drs)

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Does’t the saying go … above the neck OK, below a No No.

I’m in the same boat, vfrustrating, but going to leave it until after xmas before starting any excerise again. Just not worth messing up xmas day for me… kids are at the perfect age to be enjoying it.

scud
    Free Member

Thanks Rosey, my daughter is 3, so and is gradually whipping her self into a frenzy of xmas excitement, so the fact she is awake by 5am isn’t helping!!

Kryton57

What Ros5ey said, rest up

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

yes +1, if its been on yer chest then rest until its gone, if its a head cold then generally it usually ok to ride but warn anybody behind they might be phlegm bombed!

hora
    Free Member

DONT DO IT. REST and relax.

I did this in August- it wiped me out, properly so.

Listen to your body, if its hurting- back off abit. Thats how you preserve longevity.

Tom83

I had the tail end of a chest infection the other week, and went for a long ride. Felt ok at the time, but knew about it for the next few days. I’d recommend resting as the others have said.

ourmaninthenorth

Do nothing. Exercising with a chest infection landed me with an asthma-like condition for a year afterwards.

scud
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for the responses…<puts feet up>

marko75
    Free Member

Dont do it… i too have a chest infection but got frustrated yesterday and went for a cheeky ride….. coughed up a lung afterwards! :s keep inside and keep warm!

butcher

I’ve been a bit ill with a sore throat and stuff recently. So I decided to play it safe and stay in. Didn’t even ride on the weekend. Not even an easy one. The thing is, this came at the tail end of a lazy period where I thought I’d have a bit of a rest anyway, you know, for a week or two, or three… So I haven’t been out for a proper ride in ages, my belly’s getting bigger and it’s not even Christmas yet.

Now there’s cold going around….I’m just hoping that’s what I’ve had, because I don’t want another one, I’m dieing to go out and ride.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Exercising with cold / chest infection?’ is closed to new replies.