Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Exercising with a cold
  • wombat

I’ve got a stinking cold and have had for a week now, the only positive thing about it is that I can lose about a pound in weight simply by blowing my nose 😕

Would a few HIIT turbo sessions or going for a run be a bad idea?

martinhutch

If your chest is clearish and no fever, then maybe. I wouldn’t do anything high intensity though. I’ve had a hideous head cold all weekend, and am pondering the same thing. Not today for me though.

Peyote
    Free Member

I don’t think it is really recommended, probably something to do with letting you body recover from the infection before putting additional demands on it.

Having typed that, I cycle commute everyday (20 to 50 mile round trip), stinking cold or not. It blows away the cobwebs (and excess mucus!) and makes me feel better, so take the above advice from a hypocrite like me as you would from any other person who says “do as I say, not as I do”!

Yak

No, just no. Wait till it’s gone.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My preference is to dose myself up with paracetamol and ibuprofen, drink a load of water and struggle through some physical activity than sit around and wallow in my own self pity. I’m convinced it helps the cold pass quicker.

Yak

Yeah, that was my attitude too, until one day doing the same resulted in a collapse, then eventually chronic fatigue. Took years to get back.

wombat

Hmmm, will probably go with a middle round option then, brisk walk at lunchtime for a couple of miles should help and limit any potential damage.
    Going a bit stir crazy with all this sitting about.

martinhutch

Normally your muscles will tell you if you’re going to be doing damage. Mine ache walking up the stairs today, so it’s a definite no. Still needing profen or paracetamol would rule it out for me, partly because it will mask those kind of messages.

mountainman

Like the side effects from FLU jab ,can get weird sometimes .

Make me all aches n lack of energy for a day.

scuttler

If it’s only in your head (snot, sinuses) get out. If it’s in your body too (chest/aches/temperature) take it easy i.e. go out and do something steady** particularly if the weather’s nice as it’ll fill you full of joy.

** I may have contravened my own advice by going hike-a-bike in The Lakes…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Not recommended. Superfit athletes have died overtraining when sick 😐

stilltortoise
    Free Member

In my experience a bit of lightish exercise helps. I’ve had a mild cold for a couple of weeks on and off (courtesy of the start of the school term!). Sitting around in a centrally heated house just made me feel worse and getting some fresh air really helped. Yesterday I took the decision to go on a club (road) ride rather than have a lie-in and I felt much better for it. I was slow and off the pace, but it cleared out the snot and made me feel human again.

What I wouldn’t do is anything high intensity tho’

100mphplus
    Free Member

As scuttle said, advice I was given years ago by a professional cycling team doctor;-
    Above the neck – ok to train/ride, below the neck – rest.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

If it’s just a cold mtfu and go for it.
    Bare in mind if you were prehistoric man and you were being chased by a sabre toothed tiger you wouldn’t say i can’t run today i’ve got a cold.

mudshark
    Free Member

I never train when feeling really bad but it’s how soon to get going again when recovering I struggle with. Once I did manage to get bronchitis, which took me 3 weeks to get over, when doing a ride when a cold seemed to be going so am cautious.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Exercising with a cold’ is closed to new replies.