• This topic has 32 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hels.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Exercise before or after dinner?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

What do you do?

I normally go before, but I was so fed up and hungry after work I ate, and am now chilling for an hour before I head out. It will still probably repeat on me though.

somafunk

Before tea for me, i can’t ride after food.

I get home bout 6ish on the bike (weather dependant), switch on espresso machine and switch on R4 for 6 o’clock news/6.30 comedy show, clean the stove out and light – stock up the wood or otherwise beside it, get changed into riding kit, sort of prepare what i plan to have to dinner when i get back in, make a double espresso and sit down for 30 mins at computer to have a nosey at stw and whatever else online as it help to decompress after work, maybe make a new playlist of tunes to listen to depending on mood. Roundabout 7’ish jump on bike and go for my pathetically slow ride for an hour, maybe more if weather is good or i feel up to it then back home to make tea.

That’s been my after work ritual since new year (4 days a week), seems to be working for me so far, i admit it was a drag to start with but my routine seems to be working as i’m still cycling and about to go out now in the pissing rain and wind (the double espresso helps 😉 )

_tom_
    Free Member

Before, I hate riding on a full stomach. I normally ride in the morning though and have a small breakfast and coffee about an hour before I go, feels better.

Daffy

I bonk.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Before, I’d love to say it’s due to some performance gain or other worthy reason- but in reality it’s because ‘earned’ food is the best food 😉

sweaman2
    Free Member

After now previously before. Mainly as since having a kid it’s nice to spend a bit of time with them (and eat an early meal) before then exercising when they’re asleep. Does mean I’m spending more time riding / running in the dark though…

TheBrick
    Free Member

During. I take a stake out on a ride.

footflaps

My Monday gym session is at 8pm, so I normally eat dinner by 7 then have an hour to let it go down before lifting anything. Seems to work OK.

bones
    Free Member

During. I take a stake out on a ride.

You eat vampires during your ride? Impressive.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I tried after dinner on Monday. Left it an hour before going then kicked off with thirty minutes on the treadmill which wasn’t too bad then got on the rower and realised what a bad idea having a decent sized meal in your belly is if you also plan to bring your knees up to your chest a couple of hundred times in quick succession.

Duggan

Always before tea. I’d never be bothered afterwards.

Even at the weekend, I can only really do any exercise if I get up well early and get it done first thing. I mean, I like riding my bike and running as well but the thought of it hanging over me whilst I do other things doesn’t really do anything for me.

Of course, the problem with only ever riding your bike at 6am is that when you go any other time the traffic seems utterly mental even though it’s just normal.

takisawa2

Eat after if I can, but might grab a banana or something.

At last year’s SSUK I was amazed at the ability of those who could come flying in breathless after a lap, down a real ale, then speed off again munching a hand full of scratchings. 🙂
    Real men.

chewkw
    Free Member

Exercise before your dinner not after unless you want to get into serious trouble.

butcher

I always do it before tea when I get in from work. But I’ve been thinking about this because I often get in and can’t be bothered. First thing on my mind is food – and I eat plenty through the day. I think sometimes I’d be happier riding after tea. Feel more motivated once I’ve eaten. But the worst thing about that is you’ve no food to look forward to after you get in from a ride… It’s a real predicament. I’m not sure what to do about it.

paddy0091
    Free Member

3 x chain gang each week in the evenings, so I have a light snack, toast or cereal or something. Anything bigger I stitch up – I just make do with a later evening meal

molgrips
    Free Member

I take a stake out on a ride.

Wait – you ride up to someone’s house then sit across the street watching people come and go?

Coyote
    Free Member

Exercise before your dinner not after unless you want to get into serious trouble.

Please explain…

Yak

When I get the chance for a night ride, it is always after. Usually 90mins or so has passed, but I still start feeling full and a bit slow. However, after 2-3 hrs of riding I usually feel good and nowhere near running out of steam. Then come back in and have a big refuelling snack, or maybe the pudding I put off for later.

chewkw
    Free Member

Coyote – Member

Please explain… [/quote]

You will puke with full stomach but you can have a small meal about 1 hr before serious exercise. Also have something less solid. Porridge is fine and so are bananas.

globalti
    Free Member

Even eating a chocolate bar before the Wednesday evening hooligan ride gives me indigestion.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depends…
    Old night ride groups was finish early, eat early then out riding. Was never home before 11:30 really so eating then and going to bed was worse.
    Last night was before as it was short notice
    Really just depends how I’m feeling and what I’m doing.

surfer
    Free Member

Individual thing. If I have a “proper” midday meal as oppose to a sandwich or a bowl of soup I struggle to go for a run even at 6pm. My digestion is very slow. Most of my mates generally need 2-3 hrs between eating to running. Cycling probably less as you lazy buggers have a seat to sit on 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

Either really. Usually have a full meal before we do an off road night ride.
    Might have an early evening meal before turbos.

Late dinner before an evening crit.
    Large breakfast spread out before Sunday fast club ride

Depends, I also do fasting day rides. Generally I can eat and give it an hour or so, or starve seems to make no difference.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Either, unless it’s a Trainerroad session. Food and Trainerroad = puking

eskay

Depends on intensity for me.

Turbo session – eat afterwards.
    Hard road ride – snack then eat afterwards
    Steady road ride – eat before

molgrips
    Free Member

Worked out well for me in the end, last night. 2.5 hour run walk and didn’t need any energy products/snacks.

Only down side I didn’t get back until 11.30.

ekul
    Free Member

It depends what time for me. If my class is later on I’ll have tea as soon as possible so that it has time to settle beforehand. If its earlier I’ll just have some fruit or something before and then a proper meal after.

Having said that I had a full 3 course italian an hour before my spinning class last night. Didn’t puke though, although about 3 mins from the end I could taste it again.

jonba
    Free Member

depends as always. If I know I’m going out I’ll have something to eat late afternoon at my desk. as not eating between 12 and a ride at 6 would cause me to bonk. If I’m not at my desk I’ll normally eat a light snack before leaving the house and take an extra banana or something.

That only applies to hard rides. If it is a social mtb ride then I just eat as normal if I have the time.

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

Empty stomach if doing a steady pace or weight lifting. After food if running or MTB.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I only eat small meals anyway, so not really an issue. I eat about 6-7 times a day and stick to a whole food diet.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I always eat afterwards, although sometimes that means i’m not eating until 10pm in the summer months! I can’t eat before hand, i hate having to force feed myself if i’m not hungry, and eating my tea at 4/5pm so its settled before i ride is just wrong, plus even then it doesn’t seem to sit nicely. Generally have a snack before training and eat during it if its over an hour.

jambalaya
    Free Member

After. Eat something healthy before if it’s been a while since lunch.

hels
    Free Member

Two stage meal for me. Eat half before exercise (wait an hour or so), and half afterwards. Some might call that two evening meals.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Exercise before or after dinner?’ is closed to new replies.