Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Exciting commute – citizen's arrest!
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Had an exciting commute this morning at traffic lights somewhere north of Balham. Helped perform a citizen’s arrest on a drunk driver who had just downed two motor-scooter riders and slammed into the back of the van in front before driving off to escape the consequences. The van in front chased him down and I had pedalled off hoping to maybe catch him at the next lights or something. Anyway, I found that the second van driver had somehow got him to stop despite being parked behind him (?) and was on the blower whilst the first van driver was alternately getting in and out of his crumpled vehicle and eventually trying to pull away and escape, so I stood in front of his van and shouted “Don’t you move”! Two more cyclists who had been at the scene turned up and helped me. The guy was obviously completely hammered. When the cops arrived, they took his ignition key out, so I left at that point…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

On the downside, nobody was wearing a GoPro. Where’s CyclingGaz when you need him? 😆

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

You iz da law!

wrecker
    Free Member

kimbers

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCOPuGBg_W0[/video]

good work

me and a neigbour did the same a while back with a hammered girl in a corsa, shed been playing pinball off some of the cars down our street

certainly gets you adrenalin pumping, bet the rest of your commute was at record speed

wwaswas

Might be worth contacting the local station and offering your name as a witness.

Not sure I’d have stood in front of a vehicle being driven by a drunk and hoped they didn’t decide to just gun the engine and expect me to get out of the way but fair play to you 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Cool 🙂 although I’ve no idea how you managed to do the right hting without a prescribed moral code.. luck I guess 🙂

Would you have restrained him if required?

peterfile
    Free Member

Cool although I’ve no idea how you managed to do the right hting without a prescribed moral code.. luck I guess

He did it out of instinct, for the good of mankind, rather than to satisfy a deity 😉

binners

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K0Esd1-ZEE[/video]

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yes.

konabunny
    Free Member

Duh, he was on his bike, he had his Bombers…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Sadly no, I was on my road bike. I’d have to have just – you know – owned him. 😯

Harry_the_Spider

Owned him with carbon fibre road forks?

Light, fast, nasty.

Well done BTW.

brakes
    Free Member

drunk driver who had just downed two motor-scooter riders

is a motor scooter ride some kind of cocktail?

RoganJosh
    Free Member
    RoganJosh
    Free Member

I am du law!

Well done tho mate you could have saved something much worse off happening down the road, big pat ont back like.

antigee

where is cyclinggaz when you need him

Worryingly I had that thought the other day as some numtiness unravelled in front of me

Good work that man

binners

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntuqTuc6HxM[/video]

dknwhy

Funny that cyclinggaz got a mention actually as I think I live near him….

Went for a ride yesterday lunchtime on my MTB and afterwards found that I was KOM on some stupid Strava segment in Croydon that goes from the road adjacent to my house and crosses a main road before continuing for a few hundred feet. Why someone has created a segment across a main road is beyond me. I basically got a clear run across the main road without unclipping.
    Anyway, a few hours pass and I got the message “Gaz Williams has stolen your KOM”. Big deal I think until the name rings a bell.
    I think this is the same Gaz Williams that was on TV last year and makes a massive deal about people being wreckless on the road. Within a few hours of me accidently “stealing” his KOM, he’s gone through the effort of detouring around the quiet back roads to blitz a segment across a main road at 19mph!

(Apologies cyclinggaz if it wasn’t you but if it was, you’re even more of an idiot than I thought after watching that BBC documentary last year).

wwaswas

dknwhy – I don’t know if you have a privacy zone around your house on Strava but it’s probably worth adding one if not.

5thElefant
    Free Member

dknwhy

@wwaswas – got one thanks. Unfortunately, had to learn the hard way 😥

codybrennan
    Free Member

Definitely drunk? Not diabetic, or having a stroke?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Point.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Not diabetic, or having a stroke?

Giggity 😆

Bunnyhop

Well done.
    Be good to find out if the people who were hit are o.k.

CountZero

wwaswas – Member

dknwhy – I don’t know if you have a privacy zone around your house on Strava but it’s probably worth adding one if not.

I have no idea at all what this is about! can someone please enlighten me, and tell me what KOM means. I thought Strava was just some way of logging ride data.

GrahamS

(Apologies cyclinggaz if it wasn’t you but if it was, you’re even more of an idiot than I thought after watching that BBC documentary last year).

CycleGaz is sound IMHO – does a lot of good – he was portrayed very badly in the BBC “documentary”, as was cycling in general (including presenting old footage from underground courier races as examples of every day cycling!)

But no surprise he took your KOM. Watching his videos he is pretty nippy.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_-H2vRKe9o[/video]

wrecker
    Free Member

Why on earth would people be interested in that video?
    Why did I watch it?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Be good to find out if the people who were hit are o.k.

Well, one of the scooterists had got to his feet and moved to help the other one who was locked rigid in a Dead Fly pose and in a lot of pain, although not enough to draw vocalisation and still alive, anyway.

GrahamS

Why on earth would people be interested in that video?

Sorry – there are probably better ones. Just demonstrating that he doesn’t hang about – he’s happily sitting at 35mph in that vid without too much obvious effort or hill assistance.

(the comments are amusing by the way: some twit saying they have reported the video to the police 😕 )

dknwhy

There’s no doubt that he’s quick, it’s just for someone who’s very quick to point out the faults of wreckless drivers, he’s gone out of his way to race across a main road for some pointless badge.

Edit: watching that back, that road is near me too and it’s a pretty quick downhill. He doesn’t need to touch the brakes though… 😉

gordimhor

Well done woppit you’re the dog’s danglers 😀

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Exciting commute – citizen's arrest!’ is closed to new replies.