Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • exchanging an item…who pays postage?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

I sent some gloves back as they were too small, just wanted an exchange. Had an email from them just now saying they will send the gloves after I’ve sent them another £3 to cover postage.

Never had this happen to me before, so is this some new thing or are they just being muppets?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Who is at fault? If they sent you the wrong size its up to them to pay, if you ordered the wrong size then its up to you to pay. distance selling regs

aphex_2k
    Free Member

But how are you supposed to know if something will actually fit until it arrives and you try it on. I thought that was one of the benefits of the DSR’s?

clubber
    Free Member

No, that’s the downside of online. You get it cheaper but you can’t be sure of size. The shop supplied exactly what you asked for. If you asked for the wrong size, then it’s your responsibility UNLESS of course they told you which size to buy but then they’d have to be idiots to do more than just suggest which size.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

it is the benefit of the DSR – you can get it exchanged if you asked for the wrong size – but why should the shop be out of pocket for your mistake?

aracer
    Free Member

But how are you supposed to know if something will actually fit until it arrives and you try it on

Go and try it on in your LBS first

uplink
    Free Member

If you’re still within the 7 days you can cancel for a full refund but you can’t expect them to keep stumping up for posting stuff out to you

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Hmm ok. Maybe I’ve just been spoilt with so many places doing free shipping. I’ve never been charged to re-ship an exchanged item before.

It’s only £3….I’ve just got one on me. They tried to charge me 10% restocking fee when it states on their website that they don’t do this for exchanges. Then they said I need to pay to repost the replacement gloves.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    But how are you supposed to know if something will actually fit until it arrives and you try it on

If my LBS had some in stock I would have done, genius.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Name and shame the website 😉

aphex_2k
    Free Member

annsummers.co.uk

Cougar

If it’s an exchange then they’re legally bound to follow any public policies they’ve made or they are in breach of contract. It’s part of the implied T&Cs of the sale.

Distance selling regs entitle you to reject the goods for a refund; no ifs, no buts, no restocking fee (though they’re not obliged to cover return postage). Legally you could (and probably should) cancel the order under distance selling regulations and reorder.

If postage was £3 when you bought the original item, and there’s nothing to indicate otherwise, I think it’s reasonable to assume that they wouldn’t suddenly start doing free postage. Not sure on the legal standpoint here; I think the crux is, they can’t be deceitful about it.

Pauly

“aphex_2k – Member
    aracer – Member

If my LBS had some in stock I would have done, genius.”

I really hope you’re joking.

grunty
    Free Member

1. Restocking fee is illeagal.
    2. If you have paid for postage in the first instance and you return the item then you are entitled to have your original postage reimbursed.

See http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf point 3.48

grunty
    Free Member

BTW, you need to cancel the contract and then reorder to do the above I think, rather than just a asking for a replacement.

smartiekid
    Free Member

Heheh.

If my LBS had some in stock I would have done, genius.

CheapSkate 😆

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘exchanging an item…who pays postage?’ is closed to new replies.