Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Excess Ferritin…
  • Saccades
    Free Member

Yearly medical has told me I have over double the max level of ferritin (and my liver enzymes are odd).

Have to get myself to the docs but have been told I’ll probably have to avoid alcohol, Vitamin C and meat – which leaves me with rocks to eat. Oh and have to be bled regularly to keep my iron levels down…

Anyone else out there with some good news for me…

Stoner
    Free Member

wwaswas

don’t go walking past any magnet factories, will you.

Saccades
    Free Member

….sob…

DrP

Could mean something, could mean nothing (ferritin is an acute phase reactant protein so could be elevated in a severe cold for example…).

If the rest of the liver function tests are abnormal then you’ll probably be booked in for an ultrasound and have a few more liver tests done….

Make sure to include me in your will though 😉

DrP

RudeBoy
    Free Member

DrP is a proper doctor, you know…

Mind, if the NHS saw what he gets up to on a bike, he’d be struck off, I’m sure.

wwaswas

not quite the warm reassurance you were looking for so far, Saccades…

shinsplints

I thought this was going to be a disaster thread where someone had fecked his bike up due to “excess ferretin” in a cold ,dark shed 😆

polarisandy
    Free Member

haemochromatosis

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have a mate with severe haemochromatosis. No laughing matter. Lets hope its an acute problem.

patentlywill
    Free Member

One **possible** cause is haemochromatosis I was diagnosed about 18 months ago. Basically your ferritin goes through the roof because of a genetic disorder. It’s also commonly called iron overload disease because your body doesn’t get rid of any iron and there can be a build up of iron in the liver, heart, pancreas etc. which if left untreated will eventually lead to damage. Other causes are over use of iron supplements and I’m sure loads of others.

Treatment is weekly pint of blood extracted until it gets to normal level then every 3 months. About 1 in 200 have the gene and [ducks from hail of abuse by GPs] in the main GPs aren’t terribly switched on about it.

I’ve noticed no difficulties apart from slight arthritis in the first two fingers hands (a commom symptom). They say you may feel more tired/lethargic but I haven’t noticed! I don’t have to steer clear of meat/alcohol but get your liver checked out before ignoring your GPs advice Not that you should ever do that!

If you do have Haemochromatosis and happen to be within travelling distance of Bristol there an excellent consultant there who knows her stuff. Email me if you’d like details.

Hope all goes well

Will

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

The need for bleeding sounds like Haemochromatosis?

Odd diagnosis to make without a few more tests.

Internet advice is no substitute for going to see your Doc.

As for good news, if it is haemochromatosis, correctly treated patients who don’t have liver cirrhosis have a normal life expectancy iirc.

coffeeking
    Free Member

My mate has weekly lettings of 2 pints (going down to 1 pint eventually) – takes him half a week to recover, then 2 days later starts suffering again and is dying to be drained. Poor chap.

patentlywill
    Free Member

As for good news, if it is haemochromatosis, correctly treated patients who don’t have liver cirrhosis have a normal life expectancy iirc.

That’s what I was told and if you have yearly medicals it’ll have been picked up early. Took several years of me complaining about stiff braking fingers before someone clicked

coffeeking
    Free Member

I always have stiff fingers, especially when it’s cold. Need I be worried?!

Saccades
    Free Member

I hope the doctor is right…(his sounds the best of a bad bunch).

otherwise being bled could be a problem as I’m crap at the sight of blood (passed out in the medical, fell off the bed thing, smashed my head, chipped a tooth and battered my face on the floor whilst having convulsions).

I’ve had a shit last 5 months, really really shit.

Only ray of sunshine is that I get my 456ebb on monday.

coffeeking
    Free Member

You’ll be fine, internet people just like passing on random info as if it is directly applicable to what you have. Get on with your life as normal and wait for results, deal with whatever it is then. It’s just a small thing, dont let it define your feelings. And smile at Stoners picture, its the best bit of this thread 😀

zaskar
    Free Member

Just did a case study of this (Haematology/Clinical Chem).

Could be anything even malnutrition or liver infection.

Thing is you need tests, correct cause and treatment.

What you don’t need is a **** forum full of suggestions.

Relax (ok it’s easy to say when you’re not ill but you can’t do a thing and worrying gets you know where but adds stress.

Wait for tests, look up info on NHS direct if you must and what ferritin is for so when you go back you can ask your Gp more questions.

Good luck and hope you get sorted asap.

Go have some fun and laugh.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Excess Ferritin…’ is closed to new replies.