• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jate.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Excel Query – Linked Spreadsheet formula not working
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I have 2 spread sheets.

1 contains data.
    2 is a summary of that data.

If I open spread sheet 2 I get a #Value! error, even after updating links when opening.

If I open spread sheet 1, the data automatically updates in spread sheet 2 ! 😕

Is it a network issue that wont allow me to do the calculation across the spread sheets? The format of the cells in spread sheet 1 & 2 are the same ‘number’

Formula:

=COUNTIF(‘\\*****\******\*****\******\[Risk Log – October 2015.xlsx]Risk register template’!$R$4:$R$50,”>=12″)-COUNTIF(‘\*****\*****\******\******\[Risk Log – October 2015.xlsx]Risk register template’!$R$4:$R$50,”>25″)

* is just removing pathways (don’t want to give too much away 8)

Ta

RobHilton
    Free Member

Never use external links – ever. It just gets messy.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If you don’t, you end up duplicating data, which is even more messy…

Bump…

edlong
    Free Member

Sorry, not got the answer, but on the linky debate, I’d say that, if you are going to link as in your example, you’d avoid some of the pitfalls by using named ranges rather than cell references

E.g. in your example, name that R4:R50 range in your data sheet as “risklogdata201510” or somesuch. Then if someone goes in and inserts some rows at the top of the sheet, the reference will still work, whereas R4:R50 would have become “wrong”

I also find that meaningful range names saves time flipping back and forth to check what exactly it is that such and such a formula is pointing at.

It also can make monthly updates easier if you have different sizes or shapes – e.g. if November’s and December’s risk logs are different lengths, say R4:R45 and R4:R55 then, as long as you’ve named each range appropriately, you don’t have to count, remember or check in next month’s “Spreadsheet2” you just change the references from e.g. “name_of_thing201510” to “name_of_thing_201511”

Sorry I can’t figure out your actual problem though – I thought it might be something in the application settings you can change regarding how it handles links on opening, but I can’t find it.

eckinspain
    Free Member

If you go to File>Options>Formulas is Workbook Calculation set to automatic?

Mine sometimes randomly seem to switch to Manual.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Stick the data in a database and query it into the spreadsheet.

Never use external links – ever.

muggomagic

I think this is to do with excel rather than network. I had a similar issue where when the summary sheet is open and recalculates the formula, it needs to have the data sheet open. I was using a sumif and changed it to sumproduct and no longer get the issue.

Here’s the link to the info that helped me sort my sumif error.
    excel help

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Muggomagic that is exactly it !

With further googling I found that Excel 2013 has lost functionality, or rather some IF statements no longer work in this way, yet they used to in earlier versions of Excel 👿

So swapped to a sumproduct and now the links are coming through automatically 🙂

edlong
    Free Member

With further googling I found that Excel 2013 has lost functionality, or rather some IF statements no longer work in this way, yet they used to in earlier versions of Excel

Why am I not surprised? Excel seems to get worse with every iteration. Grrr

jate
    Free Member

As you have found, there are a number of Excel functions that only work across linked files when all the relevant files are open. COUNTIF and SUMIF are two; OFFSETs don’t work either.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Excel Query – Linked Spreadsheet formula not working’ is closed to new replies.