Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Excel format help please
  • Jenga
    Free Member

I record my rides on an Excel spreadsheet. On Saturday I rode 29.4 miles in 4 hours 18 mins. How can I set a formula to convert this to mph? If I enter the time as 4.18 Excel regards the minutes (18) as a fraction, but if I use the time formula 4:18 then the calculation comes up with silly answer.

Does anyone know how to set a formula to do the calculation?

mrmo
    Free Member

convert time to a decimal, 4.18 treat as 4 and 18/60. either enter over two cells, so you have an hour cell and a minutes cell or you need to break down the number so it is treated as such.

you can then add 4 and 18/60 to give the timetaken.

Jenga
    Free Member

Thanks, but that’s too complicated and needs too many cells/key strokes. I’ve managed to find a formula that I can programme into my spreadsheet that will carry out the calculation for me and all I have to do is enter the values into pre formatted cells. A little bit of work now then easy peasy ever after.

Stoner
    Free Member

=QUOTIENT(B1,1)+(MOD(B1, 1)/0.6)/A1

Typed into C1 where A1 is miles and B1 is time in the form H.MM

Jenga
    Free Member

I was sent :-

Format cell B1 as Time, B2 as Number and B3 as Number. Enter 4:18 into B1 and 29.2 into B2 and =B2/((B1-INT(B1))*24) into B3

Needs a bit of tweaking to get it working across the page.

schnullelieber
    Free Member

Enter the miles in cell A1 formatted as number
    Enter time in cell B1 in TIME format (i.e. 4:18). The time format stores the number as a decimal of a day, e.g. 12:00 is stored as 0.5, 12 hours = 0.5 days)

So enter formula in cell C1 formatted as a number =(A1/B1)/24.

Ta da.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Excel format help please’ is closed to new replies.