• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by aP.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Excel for dummies
  • aP
    Free Member

Is there an easy function for basically filling in a series of cells from lists in a separate worksheet based on an initial choice from an initial drop-down list?
    I’ve seen vlookup but is seems rather too complicated for my needs.
    thanks/ aP

Rubber_Buccaneer

I think VLOOKUP is the simple function. What do you think is too complicated about it?

aP
    Free Member

Spoken by a true IT professional 😉
    I’ll do it the long and complicated way instead, its a spreadsheet sent to me by a public organisation that could have been made easy, its a time charge job, I’ll just bill more.

Rubber_Buccaneer

If you can give any sort of example (use dummy data or something) someone may be able to help. VLOOKUP is very handy and simple once you have used it once. Of course it may not suit what you want to do on this occasion

aP
    Free Member

Basically I have a series of lists of things in a worksheet (say call it DROPDOWN), and a main sheet (SHEET).
    There are a series of linked lists, none of the DROPDOWN lists are linked to the SHEET.
    So as an example
    Colour Colour description
    R Red
    O Orange
    Y Yellow
    G Green
    etc…
    I have to select each of them individually currently, which is a ball-ache. I’d like to be able to choose R, and the Red to populate the cell next door automatically, if nothing else it reduces mistakes, and ball-ache…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Excel for dummies’ is closed to new replies.