Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Excel 2010- Pasting into a filtered column- really no way without VBA?
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

As the title suggests, I’m trying to take a column of 500 cells with text values, and paste them into a filtered column (was originally several thousand cells long, but has been filtered down to 500 cells.)

Of course, when I go to paste in the new values, Excel decides that I really meant to include the non-filtered cells too.

Can I get this to work without VBA?

STATO
    Free Member

You cant copy a filtered column that im aware of, you can copy the filtered cells tho.

jam-bo

copy the filtered values into another sheet. paste your new data alongside.

STATO
    Free Member

Actually, im not sure what your asking.

Are you trying to paste new values over old values, but in a column that filtered?

You cant really do it in one action as filtering just hides cells. You’d be better off sorting them so the 500 you want are together, then replace them. If thats what your trying to do anyway.

RobHilton
    Free Member

You mean copying from filtered list??

Press Alt+; to copy only the visible data. If you do Ctrl+c first then Alt+; you see a change in the dotted lines letting you know you’re copying visible cells only.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Sorry, should have said/explained better:

-I’m copying an unfiltered column of 500 cells
    -I’m trying to paste them into a filtered column where 500 cells remain
    -Excel insists on including the non-filtered cells
    -I end up with Excel just pasting into the column from cell 1 to cell 500

codybrennan
    Free Member

STATO- yes, thats it.

samunkim
    Free Member

Could you concantenate the filtered criteria+the data to create a unique Vlookup index to just “pull” the data across without pasting

russianbob
    Free Member

insert new column next to filtered column. Type something a number in the first cell of the new column. Drag that cell down so you get 1-500 in the new column. Remove the filter. Order by the new column. Paste your new values over the now unfiltered column.

russianbob
    Free Member

Actually you can’t do it by dragging the numbers to increase them. But you can tag them. Or colour the filtered column and order by colour once the filter is removed?

codybrennan
    Free Member

Gave up in the end, cut and pasted manually…..too much risk for me, being crap at Excel, getting it wrong.

Thanks for all your input though, much appreciated.

Excel sucks 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Excel 2010- Pasting into a filtered column- really no way without VBA?’ is closed to new replies.