Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)
  • Ex9 cracked frame! Advice!
  • Kal
    Free Member

Half way round my usual Tuesday night ride there was an almighty "crack" sound from the rear end of me Ex9, just going over a small root in the trail!!
    I bought the bike of flea bay, before you say it it was as new and Ive been using it for around 18 months trouble free!! I have the original receipt from the original owner but looking on the Trek site it only warranties the bike to the original owner!!
    It looks to me to be a failier in workmanship as it's not been abused! Any comments and advice would be greatley appreciated.

I do plan on ringing Corleys tomorrow to get there opinions as well.

Cheers

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

how on earth??? ouch…

toppers3933
    Free Member

i think you need to practice youre blagging skills and pretend you are the original owner. 😉

neilb67
    Free Member

Contact the original owner and ask if he's willing to get it sorted for you. I know I would if someone bought a frame off me and it broke.

theotherjonv

Hmmm….

I have read that early model FuelEx's had a known problem

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15140272

but then strictly as not the original owner the warranty is invalidated. But then again I've heard Trek are legendary for their support so they may well sort you out anyway or at cost to keep you happy. Their reputation on warranty was part of the reason I chose a Trek.

Wally

I do remember a thread on this exact same failure point when these frames first came out. It is a common problem – it seems.

google similar crack

Gooner
    Free Member

can't offer any advice other than repeating what has been said already but good luck and let us know the outcome

br
    Free Member

Corleys are pretty good, in the first instance I'd take it to them and see what they can do – aim for a crash-replacement (probably 50% off), and if you get better than that, its a result.

theotherjonv

bell end. I just went in the garage to look at mine, iirc newer models had an open ended weld or something to avoid stressing the area.

BUT IT'S NOT THERE.

Had a mild panic moment until I realised it's in the shop having the main pivot bearings done. Under warranty, I hope…..

Kal
    Free Member

Just followed a link to Mbr and a geezer on there has the excact same fault! Trek themselves replied on his thread saying they are aware they have a fault and the newer once have had it sorted!! Said in his words " they have his back"!!!

So surely as Trek have admitted there is a fault it should get sorted no questions asked!!

Well hopefully!!

Cheers for the help gents!

stooo
    Free Member

Be interested to see how this unfolds as I have the same frame, which I bought second hand… same version of the frame with the 'possibly' dodgy weld.

I've not had any trouble with it yet (touch wood) but would be keen to know what happens with trek in case I do.

Hope you get it sorted mate – lovely riding frame when they work.

MicArms

My 2008 EX8 cracked in exactly the same spot.. Trek and the LBS had a new swing arm sorted within 48 hours. They said it was a known porblem on the early frames and had changed the design etc. (Only affected the larger frames IIRC)

As you're not the original owner I couldn't say, but my experience with trek for warranty issues in general is superb.

special77
    Free Member

This was a problem that affected the first batch of EX's built, wrong weld sequence caused a weak spot at the edge of the weld.

As you're not original owner it won't be covered by warranty but they will be able to supply a seatstay and Trek spares are very cheap. You can try and go through original owner but I know the Trek technical guys read this forum so may not be good trying to blag it.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I was going to say DO NOT LIE about being the original owner, Trek Warranty read these posts and they're not stupid. Tell them the truth and they may well sort you out.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

if there is a known issue they should sort it whether you are the original owner or not.

how old is the frame? You have the provisions of the sale of goods act to fall back on if they don't play ball.

rOcKeTdOg

warranty is original owner, Treks contract is with them not the possible 1000's of owners since surely?

geordiepaul
    Free Member

I'm on my 4th EX9 frame…..thank god for the warranty 🙂
    I've had two white 2008 frames and two silver 2009 frames.
    My current frame is going stong….touch wood!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

RD – hmmmmmmm – thinking about I am not sure SOGA act applies as as yo say there is not contractual relationship.

Kal
    Free Member

It was bought august 08! So one of the early ones!

Wouldn't lie about being original owner if they ask as generally people are straight with you if you are with them!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I'm sure if you are honest and speak to Trek nicely they will help you out in some way.

Kal
    Free Member

Corleys didn't bat an eyelid eyelid an when I rang them! Just said bring it in and they will ring trek! surely being a known fault trek will repair it outer good faith!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Trek owe you nothing.

trekcol
    Free Member

Hi,

there are 2 ways to play this…

1- be honest with Phil Corleys (and therefore Trek) and both being professional bike companies, i am sure they will charge a heavily subsidised price for the replacement part- as you are not the original owner.
    2- be dishonest and see if Phil Corley and Trek supply you something as warranty. Be aware that Trek will always require the original sales receipt to be supplied on each and every warranty claim- and if a non original owner is trying to defraud the company and get found out- then of course the costs reflected may or may not be inflated in reflection of this.

Good luck with your replacement part turnaround speed…. 🙂

wwaswas

it might be worth bearing in mind that trek are aware of this thread and have a picture of the frame to compare any possible warranty claims that Corleys submit with 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

If trek don't sort it our tell them about the armchair warriors who said they should.

Kal
    Free Member

ChunkyMTB your right they do owe me nothing but depending on how I'm treated will have a huge bearing on which manufacturer I choose when I come to replace the 9! So surely that's goner carry some weight, and I'm not saying if they don't fix it foc then I'll take my business elsewhere but this will be a good test of the character of Trek as a company and customer satisfaction!

cynic-al
    Free Member

But you are not a Trek customer?

timraven

I've had great service from Trek, they were brilliant when I had no end of trouble with a Fisher, admittedly I was the original owner.

Be honest and trust that it is in their interest to get you sorted and happy.

Off to check my '08 EX8 now! It's been ridden hard and so far put up with everything I've thrown it down and up 😆

nickegg
    Free Member

Hardly the end of the world is it OP…i mean you're looking at a new seat stay and thats it!

Hardly going to cost the earth i suspect.

Kal
    Free Member

To be honest it doesn't matter if it's a 50p or £500 fix and if I'm indirectly or directly a trek customer the fact of the matter is a 2k all mountain full susser should not crack it's frame in half on some woody single track! And if it does the customer service should match the price tag! Which I'm sure it will!!!

walleater

They've already said (above), that they'll sort it for you on the cheap despite the fact that you are not the original owner. What more do you want?

Kal
    Free Member

No welleater I have been given some great advice on my option and got a "I'm sure they will charge a heavily subsidised price" thats not a "we will at most charge a heavily subsidIsed price" and I'm not sure if trekcol is speaking on behalf of Trek! and I didn't say I wouldn't be happy with paying something towards the part!

theotherjonv

Ummm; I think TrekCol is the Trek UK warranty manager or something. I also think he's giving you a clue how to pursue your claim with them. I also think you should read what he says closely and stop saying anything else or making any veiled threats about future custom until you have.

Kal
    Free Member

Right lets clear a few thinks up…!!!

I made a point of saying "and I'm not saying if they don't fix it foc then I'll take my business elsewhere" as I know that certain company policies etc can limit what an employee can and can't do for you regardless of how much they want to help!! So no veiled threats were made, however I challenge any of you to say that if you had a high end rig fail like mine and the company knew of the problem but only wanted to offer minimul help, wouldnt make you consider buying from the same make again! That's just human nature!! It is also just speculation as until I see Corleys tomorrow I dont know what the policy will be on my steed!

I'm just giving my opinion on how I think this should be dealt with, that's coming from someone who deals with faulty items being return and our policy we adehere to!!

chambo82
    Free Member

Here here Mr kal , I really can't understand y people try 2 argue wen all ur trying 2do is get sum advice from fellow mtbers , surely we all need2 work 2gether 4 the good of our hobby / enjoyment

willsimmons
    Free Member

Had the same fault on my Fuel. Poor show by Trek for not recalling the frames and just waiting for them to break before replacing the parts. In my case, breaking halfway through a 2 week Alps holiday that I had worked hard to afford. On that basis I won't be buying Trek again – legendary customer service my arse.

Kal
    Free Member

That aint good!! I was lucky as was local woods and within walking distance of the motor so not overly inconvenienced in that way!!

Would have been well pissed if it'd done it somewhere like the alps!!

special77
    Free Member

Not all the frames were breaking and this frame has done nearly 2 years before failing. Oh, it didn't fail on a bit of woody singletrack, it had already been cracked for a while before it snapped.

Got to question brand loyalty from people who buy 2 year old seond hand bikes?1?

If everyone was put off a brand by one example of a failure then we wouldn't be buying frames form any manufacturer out there. The EX frame is an incredibly lightweight good value frameset, they're only 5.5lb for 120mm travel, how many boutique brands manage that at frame only price sof £1500+?

duntstick
    Free Member

Never mind leaving the product testing to customers, this is a known fault which could lead to potential serious injury or fatality.

2 years, that's b@gger all.

Don't major companies do recalls anymore, this should have already been dealt with 👿

Edit…..This really boils my piss ….rant…curse, etc….

theotherjonv

Kal and Chambo

depending on how I'm treated will have a huge bearing on which manufacturer I choose when I come to replace the 9!

Are we supposed to read that like 'if they don't treat me well, I'll take my business elsewhere' or 'it doesn't matter how they treat me I'll still consider another Trek' because it's pretty clear to me how it comes across, which is why I suggested to rein them in a bit.

Look, I agree that whether warranty belongs to you or not, as a Trek user and therefore a prospective future customer they should treat you well and help to sort this out in a fair way. Which unless I'm misreading Colin's post totally, they're offering to do if you follow the right channels. @ Chambo: As for the

I really can't understand y people try 2 argue wen all ur trying 2do is get sum advice from fellow mtbers

we've given helpful advice and now I'm trying to advise Kal not to compromise what's on offer already. Because tbh he doesn't seem to be reading the nuances of Colin's posts as I think they are intended, and nor are you doing the same to ours.

We're trying to be helpful, honest, by stopping Kal pissing Colin off before he's even spoken properly about it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Ex9 cracked frame! Advice!’ is closed to new replies.